Monday, February 19, 2007

You Could Drive a Person Crazy...

New York City trip post #1

Quick review:

#times thru O'Hare Security: 2
#O'Hare Terminals visited: 2
#flights booked: 2 (number of flights that actually took off? 1)
#cups of Starbucks: 1
Winter Headgear when departed from home: 1
Winter Headgear when arrived in NYC: 1 (am notorious for losing hats, so this is quite the accomplishment!)


There is so much packed into this weekend, I have to take it one day at a time....
Friday morning, I was up at 5:30, already bouncing off the walls and going "New York City? Time to go to New York City? Let's go to New York City!" etc., doing an inner excited happy dance, like Olive Hoover in Little Miss Sunshine (minus the screaming).

Finally off to the airport with plenty of time - flight was scheduled to depart at 9:25. I got there somewhere around 7:30. I'd never been in Terminal 2 before, and it was really like the Land Time Forgot. Kind of creepy and dingy and unkempt. This should have been my first clue. Got to the JetBlue check in counter and saw my flight was going to be delayed until about 11:30. I was not happy, but headed to the gate anyway, stopping first, naturally, for a big cup of cinnamon dolce coffee. I can do anything if I've got my coffee. And I needed it. I arrived at the gate to find people camping out there - from the flight that should have left at 6:00 AM! I was not sure what was going on, but the gist of it seemed to be that there were no crews about to legally make the flights happen. So passengers headed to NYC and Long Beach were backed up. Nothing was leaving until about 12:00. I decided not to wait around for them (good thing, too!) got my bag back and started over. As I was walking to baggage claim, I noticed I'd missed a call from sarah - aka my Cruise Director - who helped me book a new flight (and got me signed up for mileage plus!) THANKS, SARAH!

Because I'd had a rough morning, I upgraded my seat when I checked in - an aisle! Woohoo! Also treated myself to some McBreakfast in the terminal. Honestly, what a morning! But the flight, once I got on it, was nice and uneventful. I made a few friends on board who were curious about my knitting project (what else? another scarf!)

Finally, finally, finally, arrived in NYC and hooked up with litwit, my fabulous hostess. Next up??? Dinner with the gang and Grey Gardens.

Stay tuned....

No comments: