Saturday, March 31, 2007

Yes, MAM

I always kind of thought "writing a thesis" was one of those things that happened to other people - kind of like winning the lottery, getting a speeding ticket, catching the plague, etc. In my head, the writing of such a scholarly document was done by geeky students in turtlenecks, slaving away at all hours, on their LIFE WORK, hunched over a computer in Starbucks, with a constant flow of caffeine being fed to them with an iv tube.

But now.... it's ME. I am officially "Writing My Thesis" after much research, some interviews and much sending of drafts to an advisor on sabbatical. I am spending most of my weekends getting the thing done. Oye. I love to write, but this is not so much writing as it is TORTURE. I had built it up so much in my head (with the geeky turtleneck, Life Work, hunched over a computer scenario) that it got to feel pretty scary. Now that I am writing it, it's not so bad. I really want it done. I mean REALLY. The original goal I quoted by advisor last year was June. My first concept was much larger in scope, and it's really changed a lot from my original idea. We are going to try and stay on that timeline, so I am slaving away this weekend to have some more material to send off to the advisor (last time, it took 3 emails before he responded from the beach or whereever he is taking sabbatical). Hopefully, by next week I can do some analyzing and concluding, than lots and lots of revising and tweaking.

Wish me luck. Support is always welcome (in the form of chocolate, encouragement, rah rahs or cash.) If you don't hear from me in a few days, call in the National Guard, as I may have passed out from my caffeine drip....

No comments: