Tuesday, July 03, 2012

a note about shopping

When I was in New York, as I mentioned, I went shopping. I love shopping. But I tried to go places that I can't go to here in Chicago. I went to Uniqlo (two branches! wheee!) and the Strand, and the HBO Experience Store for True Blood stuff (whee!). But what I really, really wanted to find was New York Giants merchandise.

I am a converted Giants fan. I have divorced the Bears (and it wasn't me. It was definitely them.) and cheered on a new team to super bowl victory. When I was last in NY, all of the stores were PACKED with Giants gear. Packed, I tell you. And it wasn't just jerseys and boys' shirts. There were scads of cute  shirts and gear for ladies. But at the time, I decided not to buy (I had a worrying feeling and was trying not to spend crazy amounts of money).

This time, I decided to right the wrong. I'd get a cute ladies t-shirt! Maybe a pillow pet! Maybe another cute t-shirt.... except I couldn't. I went into several sports stores and all kinds of touristy I love NY stores, and NONE OF THEM had Giants gear worth mentioning. One of the sports stores had men's shirts and jerseys, and a shirt Victor Cruz wore (designed? Something?) for something (Puerto Rican day parade? Maybe?) but that was IT.  It was wall to wall Yankees. A little bit of Mets stuff. Some Rangers some Knicks stuff, and some Jets stuff (mainly Tebow jerseys. Don't even get me started on him). But I hate baseball, I don't care about basketball and Tebow? How about Te-NO?). But it was all guys' stuff. None of the adorable Alyssa Milano touch stuff. At all. It was baffling.

I was left wandering Times Square muttering "But... Super Bowl... WON... they did!" (in my confusion and angst, I had somehow turned into Yoda).

But for real. On Navy Pier, you can buy sports gear for ALL the teams, including the Bears. And they aren't even GOOD, people. But you can't find cute Giants gear for love nor money in NYC. Don't people want to support their team during the summer? It's a mystery to me. In the end, I gave up. I guess I shall have to buy my gear (AND my pillowpet) on the interweb. But really New York? Why are you making it so hard for me to be a Giants fan? Don't you think I'll have trouble enough without you giving me problems too??

No comments: