Saturday, June 24, 2006

The Case of the Missing Zombie Stripper

Before I forget - I want to mention a play I saw last weekend - I have been carrying the program around in my purse for a whole week to remind myself to write about it. In my endeavor to carry around less baggage (oh, let's leave that one alone for now), here goes.

The staged reading of "The Adventures of Mac Martinez: The Case of the Missing Zombie Stripper" was a benefit for the Disability Pride Parade, which my friend Jane is working with. It was at Victory Gardens Theatre in Chicago, and it was the first time I'd visited their space. Got to oggle their Tony though, which was a particular highlight of the evening for me.

Let's get on with the show... I am not going to go through the plot of "The Case of the Missing Zombie Stripper" - just take my word on this one. The play was not really the point of the evening. The point was to raise awareness for the parade, and serve as a fundraiser. The actors did a great job with the reading. They were funny, dramatic, and looked like they were having a great time. It was really evident the dedication of the volunteers who arranged the parade, and of everyone who participated in the evening. It was fun to be part of the evening and get to be part of this caring group for just a couple of hours.

The Disability Pride Parade will be in Chicago on July 22nd at 11:00 am. Check out their website http://www.disabilityprideparade.com

No comments: