Thursday, September 28, 2006

my life has suddenly become more complicated

and i am not talking about the tuesday night tv schedule here, either (but i mean, really. what's a TiVo-less girl to do? sorry, sorry, i digress). It was a long, long day at work. i completed a totally hellish proposal that i've been working on in fits and starts all week. if we don't get this one after all this, i'll.... well, i'll be relieved actually, since i have no time to deal with the clients i've already got, never mind suddenly acquiring new ones.

funny moment this morning though. we're all sitting around doing our work (or something), and suddenly: WHOOSH and crackle crackle crackle crackle, like someone's turned on a tv to the static channel. It's coming from the vents. I stood up and kind of hovered by my desk. i noticed my colleagues hanging around, all of us like what the hell?? then, as one person, we all move towards the sound of the noise. Not very bright, since we didn't know what it was or where it was coming from. Toxic gas, maybe, or perhaps an imminent explosion of the copier? We all decided it probably wasn't a good idea to get any closer, so we all hung out in the corridor wondering what to do. Naturally, "coffee break" was the idea that won out and a bunch of us left the office for a little bit. It was so gosh darned noisy in there (and COLD) who could work in those conditions? That was the story, anyway. In the end, someone from the building came to see what was going on and the noise stopped and we all got back to business. Coffee break is over, guys. . Never a dull moment, anyway.

This week's been nuts, but i was able to be at my desk without being on the phone or running around by the copier (which might be ready to explode) and that meant i finally had the chance to listen to some music at my desk and i was listening to Audra's new cd, which i like a lot. I DETEST John Mayer and his little whiny whispy voice that sounds like he's restraining his throat - it's got this weird, almost masked sound, and I keep waiting for him to bust out and SING already, but he never does. Anyway, he's got a lot of good songs, and I've tried really hard to like him, but I just can't do it. But I hope he and Jessica are very happy together. Whatever. I only bring him up because Audra does a great version of 'My Stupid Mouth' on her new cd and I think it's my favorite track on the disc.

On to the afternoon. Out for lunch, more work, etc etc etc. And then - I had to get in my car and go down to school. It was the first time this particular car traveled that particular route. (Kind of weird, and I still get behind the wheel and say a little mantra of 'please don't let me get hit today, please don't let me get hit today.') But hello, I hear you asking, didn't you graduate? Well, I'm still writing my thesis. For a long time, I've been like, "Oh, I've gotta do my thesis." In a kind of distant way, like, oh yes, I'm writing my thesis. I've got it all planned. I've got a proposal. I've got a committee. The committee's got the proposal, you know. It's in committee. And now comes the realization: I've actually got to write the thing. Sounds obvious, I know, but I just wasn't prepared for that. As my favorite author Marian Keyes (more on her later someday) said in one of her books, "I don't live in fantasy land, but I am a frequent visitor." I was just going around, lalalala, off in the happy Land of the Divas (like the Valley of the Dolls, but with better music) and suddenly - reality check. Gawd, I hate when that happens.

Met with my advisor today, and he actually did some advising. Uncharacteristically helpful, he was, but this is more important stuff than the other stuff I'd talked to him about in the past. Maybe this is the beginning of a whole new relationship. One where he actually does some advising. Sometimes I wonder how colleges even function with the amount of crap that really goes on. Seriously. We mapped it out, and now I've gotta do research. It's supposed to be finished in June (insert hollow laughter here.) we'll just see about that. It's going to be about audience development in symphony orchestras, and I'm going to talk to people at actual orchestras and see what they're up to. I'm gonna rope some people I work with into helping me out with their connections. Oh, I've got plans for some of you (begins with The and ends with 'eg'.) Naturally, I will come over here and bitch my head off about it so there will be lots of writing to look forward to.

Oh, and in other news, I've decided to take up tap dancing. No, really. Stop laughing (Sarah). I can't do the voice class this time because of a time conflict, but I really really wanna dance. And you know what Audrey Hepburn says in that Gap ad "If a girl wants to dahnce, a girl wants to dahnce!" So I'm signing up. I'm sure lots of writing will come out of that, too (since I've never danced before in my entire life. even as a little girl.)

Stay tuned. It's gonna be an interesting couple of months coming up...

No comments: