Friday, January 26, 2007

california dreamin'

I saw Mahagonny many many years ago at Lyric Opera of Chicago. I didn't like it, I didn't understand it. I remember only two things about it:

1. Catherine Malfitano was in it (which I am sure contributed to my dislike of it. I'm just not a fan of hers...)

2. Every so often, a polar bear wandered around the stage. Not a real one, of course, a guy in a polar bear costume. He would come in for a few scenes and leave. For no apparent reason. My friend and opera buddy cara tried to tell me that it was a reference to a 'bear' economy, but i feel that is a bit of a stretch. I also want to say at one point he was on skis.... but I could just be making that up. It was a while ago...

All that being said, I would happily, happily go to Los Angeles if I had the money and the days off to see these two in a john doyle production of this opera.

No comments: