Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Do Not Mock The Reiki Master

I have my first reiki massage this evening. I didn't do it on purpose. Well, okay, I did - I signed up for massage therapy at the venerable Skokie Park District (I pass their hypnotic orange neon sign every day on my way to and from work) with a guy named Phillip (reminding me of the great exchange on Will and Grace: Guy: "My name is Filip." Grace: "Hello, Phillip." Guy: "No, Filip, with an F." Grace: "I'm sorry, what did I say?" Guy: "Phillip. With a PH." Makes me laugh every time.). I just really want someone to loosen up the massive knots in my shoulders, with more pressure than I have to do it myself (and more time to devote to my muscular tension than just a few minutes). But I got a call from old Phil yesterday asking if we could make the appointment about 15 minutes later. He described it as "reiki-ssage" for he is a Reiki Master. I googled reiki, and it sounds very mystical. The Reiki Master channels the reiki energy into your pain and does some kind of healing of the chi. Riiiiight. Still I am keeping an open mind. I don't have to do all of my therapy sessions with the Reiki Master. And I will have to try hard not to giggle like I do during yoga, sitting there and chanting "om" - if you mess with the Reiki Master, he can like, put a hex on my chi, or something. don't want that.

No comments: