Thursday, January 31, 2008

An "Idol" Mind...

Oh, American Idol... I had given you up last season. Having vowed never ever to watch again, I mean ever, after the voting debacle that allowed Chris Daughtry to get the boot and elect Taylor Hicks as winner?? WTF? is that all about? I might add that this is the voting public of America, people, and we are in deep shit. Then again, I think more people voted in the last American Idol finale than in the last Presidential election - what does that tell you?? Maybe we should really adopt that model instead. Okay, everybody, text "HLRY4PREZ" (just as a for instance) or dial 1-900 (pft! didja think we'd get to vote toll free?)-CLINTON (again totally as a for instance)

But sorry, I digress. The point of this post is not to talk politics. It is to talk about American Idol. As I say, I totally gave up watching the show last year as it was getting to be a little too much. Mean, mean Simon, flaky Paula and mellow 'hey-dawg-you-worked-it-OUT' Randy. Too grating. Too predictable. All of the guest artists and theme evenings? There's only so many times I need to hear BeeGees songs -and like, the once is enough. Or Barry Manilow. Yech. So I said "goodbye" to Idol.

And yet... I never saw an episode but I still know who "the winner" was and I know what a Sanjaya Malakaar is (although not necessarily how to spell it) because it seeped into my consciousness. Oh all right, fine, I read it on the internet.

Yesterday, I cracked. I watched an episode - auditions in Miami Florida!! More of same, but I was mesmerized. I don't know if I will watch any more of it - I kind of like watching the auditions.

But really really bad singing is not the same as watching a quality scripted tv show. At the risk of sounding WAY too serious here - I hope the strike ends soon and that AMPTP gets their collective heads out of their collective asses and give these people all of the recognition (and cash) that they deserve. Because, dammit, the last new Ugly Betty aired last week! And there are only 2 new episodes of House left. Without them, I think I am left to turn back to Simon, Randy and Paula. Or I guess I could always take my mom's advice and read a book....

No comments: