Saturday, June 21, 2008

I love New York in June...

I know it's been almost a whole week since my (all too brief) vacation, but you know how it is... I got home after another problem with United Airlines (never again!) and crashed immediately. Thursday and Friday at work were nuts. Thankfully, we are NOT moving next week so I don't have to worry about packing up my office while also trying to coordinate our annual meeting.

Pictures to come, but here is a little recap of my most excellent vacation...

Sunday, June 15
Have all the demons in hell come to torment me??? In the midst of a torrential rainstorm, United decides to cancel a flight to LaGuardia. Yes, mine. Interestingly, my bag proceeds on to its original destination. In a panic, I call the "customer service" line - they cannot get me out of O'Hare until later that afternoon, by way of Detroit and DC, landing me in New York at 11:00 pm. He claims he cannot check any other airline. Ha. I call the United reservations line. This time, they tell me that they can't get me out Sunday at all, but Monday morning. He claims to have tried other airlines but comes up with nothing. I am freaking out. Do I just go home? But what is the point of flying out Monday morning just to leave Wednesday? What about my Tuesday night fourth row Gypsy ticket???

Desperate, I call American Airlines. While I am talking to a representative, we get cut off - in the middle of booking me a flight that will get to LaGuardia by way of Boston (or is it Cleveland?) leaving within hours and landing me there at 4:00 pm. I call back, and lo and behold, this new representative finds me a DIRECT FLIGHT to LaGuardia leaving that morning and getting me in at 2:00 pm. Clearly, God loves me and wants me to get to Sarah's Tony party. I catch the flight - and we sit on the ground for close to 2 hours, while they hold the plane for people making connecting flights. We waited there for about 7 people. I had brought a book that completely sucked, which didn't help the endless wait.

Finally, FINALLY, I arrive at LaGuardia. My bag was chillin' at the United baggage claim.

AT LAST, time for Sarah's lovely party. She rolled out her red carpet and greeted us all in style. Oh my gosh, it was so much fun. I loved being with people who could talk about theater, who made jokes and funny comments, and who understood the need to rewind the DVR so that we could watch Patti's winning speech a few more times (and in slow motion!)... Speaking of.... Oh! I was SO excited for her to win! And August: Osage County! Steppenwolf love! :) I could go on and on (and on and on) about Patti, but I won't. Overall, it was a great night, wonderful company and who could ask for more than that??

Sloshed back to the hotel having had many cosmos and champagne (to toast the diva!). SO glad I got there!

No comments: