Wednesday, July 22, 2009

what's up with that, businessmen?

So. While reading the newspaper (the Wall Street Journal, the paper of choice for Metra businessmen) over people's shoulders on the train, I've noticed something that bothers me deeply. If anyone reads the WSJ on purpose (rather than peering nosily at the headlines over someone's shoulder in the seat in front of them on their way home from work. And shut up, okay? It's a half hour ride and sometimes I get bored.) can you explain to me why one of the sections is called "Personal Journal." Note the punctuation. None of the other sections are punctuated, but "Personal Journal" has that period at the end. Why isn't it "Marketplace." (or, I suppose "Marketplace*#!&@!") or "Finance & Investing." or perhaps "Finance & Investing!" ? Why that one section and not the others? Even the name of the paper isn't punctuated - it's not "The Wall Street Journal period"

I noticed it again this morning and puzzled over it for the whole ride (I finished my Harry Potter book last night and so had nothing to occupy me.) Does anybody know?

No comments: