Friday, January 29, 2010

a little "Sense"

So - I didn't want you all to think that I have amazingly crap taste in movies OR that I only watch films for the merits of hunky Scottish variety eye candy. Not the case at all, tulips. Case in point, I recently found one of my all time favorite films, Sense & Sensibility in the $7.99 bin at Borders. Words do not even come close to describing how much I love this film - Emma Thompson's screenplay, the amazing cast (pretty much all my favorite people in one film! Does it get any better??? To quote Alan Rickman's Col. Brandon, "I think not."), the music, the story, the everything. I saw it many many times in the theaters (I was in high school then. Many many moons ago.) and I was happy to be popping it into my dvd player...The DVD extras are slim pickings, sadly. Two deleted scenes (one of which is called, I hope erroneously "Mrs. Dashwood converts Elinor" Really? To what?) some commentary, and Emma's very very funny "Golden Spheres" acceptance speech.




Check out that cast!!! Future Hogwarts faculty members Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman and Imelda Staunton, the young charming Kate Winslet, Greg Wise as the cad and blackgaurd (I love that word) Willoughby (speaking of Mr. Wise, where has he BEEN lately??) and Hugh Grant at his most charming, romantic, blinky, befuddled and floppy haired - the scene below never fails to melt my heart. (If you've never seen the film, or read the book, the below is a HUGE SPOILER!)



Sigh. Tears. Where was I? Oh, right. The show is nearly stolen by some of the supporting players -HUGO HORTON (AKA James Fleet AKA the spineless John Dashwood), the delicious Harriet Walter as Fanny Dashwood (I can still hear her saying the line "...upon whom penniless women can prey" in those icy tones, colder than Chicago in winter, and I oughta know!). My favorite of her scenes is the part where Lucy Steele decides to confide in Fanny that she's been secretly engaged to her brother Edward. I've looked and looked and I can't find the clip on Youtube, but if you come over, you can watch it with me! And of course, my other Favorite Hugh, Hugh Laurie as Mr. Palmer...

1 comment:

Emily said...

Did you see the new version that was on public television last summer? It was really good - two parts, about 3.5 hours total. I think I might even prefer it to the movie version, although I LOVE the movie as much as you!