Sunday, August 01, 2010

a little sondheim music

Last night, the stars aligned at Ravinia for a dazzling (yet brief) celebration of Stephen Sondheim's 80th birthday. Patti LuPone, Audra McDonald, Michael Cerveris and George Hearn, singing Sondheim, with the CSO conducted by Paul Gemignani?? Yes, please! It also happened to be the Ravinia Women's Board's annual gala, so the people watching was even more excellent than usual. But on with the show - our seats were Center, LL, way the heck in the back of the pavilion, right next to the sound booth (or maybe it was the light booth? Not sure. Something technical was happening back there, at any rate). After the Star Spangled Banner, and some 'rah-rah, go us' speeches, our fabulous four stars made their first appearance, singing "Together Wherever We Go" - a little lyric shuffling was in order, since there were four of them, thus there was no "a duo" following "Whatever the boat I row, you row" and no "a trio" following "Whatever the row I hoe, you hoe" - although Patti spiritedly interjected "Who are you callin' a ho?"

The four of them took turns at a little podium, introducing the songs and taking us on a little trip down memory lane as they sang highlights from the Sondheim musicals that had graced the stage at Ravinia over the past several years. They promised surprises - Audra gushed that she'd finally get to sing something she'd always wanted to perform - "Epiphany" from Sweeney Todd. She'd thought since Michael and George were both there, deciding who would play Sweeney would be awkward. No, sez Patti, we've figured it out. Audra then asked who would be singing Sweeney - and both gentlemen raised their hands. Riiiight, she said, glad you've worked that all out, then. Looked like she'd have to save Epiphany for another evening...

Sunday in the Park with George was up first, with Michael singing "Finishing the Hat" joined by Audra for "Move On". What a gorgeous voice she has. I mean, seriously gorgeous. And she looked stunning, all in white, like a Greek goddess or something. It was nice to see Michael again, too, I don't think I've seen him in anything since Sweeney Todd.

Next up: A Little Night Music, with Patti introducing the first song - she and George as Desiree and Frederick, in her dressing room, for "You Must Meet My Wife" -- hilarity ensued later on as Patti went back over the script at the podium - something had been bugging her about the intro she'd read for that song, and it turned out the dressing room phrase had been put in there more than once. So naturally she told us about it and how it had been bothering her and it was best, really, just to get these things out. Hee hee. Hopefully, she was feeling festive and no heads rolled for that typo... I did however, want a head to roll a few rows ahead of me where a guy was READING A NEWSPAPER. During the concert. Really??? Really!??!?! Patti, over here!!! He's the one who called you a ho! Help me tell him where he can put his freaking newspaper!!!
Where was I? Oh, right, ALNM. Additional selections included "Everyday a Little Death" (Patti & Audra), "Glamorous Life" (Audra), "Send in the Clowns" (Patti), "It Would Have Been Wonderful" (Michael & George).

Patti sang "Everything's Coming Up Roses" from Gypsy (yay!) which received a long and thunderous ovation. That took me on my own journey down memory lane - Gypsy nights at Ravinia with a group of great friends, Gypsy nights at City Center with some of those same friends, Gypsy nights on Broadway, including the performance right after that second Tony win... "What can you do after that?" wondered George as he introduced selections from Passion: "Happiness" (Audra & Michael) and "I Wish I Could Forget You" (Patti). That one is notable for having one of my favorite Sondheim lines in it "a love as pure as breath, as permanent as death, implacable as stone" - stunning, poetic.

I digress. Merrilly, we rolled along (ha!) with Anyone Can Whistle - a false start from Michael on "Everybody Says Don't" - he started over, noting "Everybody says don't... start a song like THAT." and then a sweet sounding "Anyone Can Whistle" from Audra.

The two Sweeneys took the stage as Sweeney and the judge for "Pretty Women" and then the two Sweeneys took turns with Patti as Mrs. Lovett for "A Little Priest". Well, oh my giddy god. I'd been dying for them to do that after I'd heard they'd sung it that way in New York for one of the big official Sondheim birthday concerts. Worth the price of admission, right there.
After the song was over, Audra was all like "Yeah, well, that was good, guys, but I still think I should have done Epiphany." Those four should have been the gala's masters of ceremony, I think that would have made the event really really lively! Although, I didn't get to go to the party, so for all I know, they may have!

They wrapped up with "Side by Side" from Company. And then it was over - after only an hour and fifteen minutes. I had thought it would be a fairly short concert, since most of the audience was there for the party, sort of gypping those of us who were there for the MUSIC, because I could have listened to those amazing voices singing Sondheim all night long. Come back soon, guys!


4 comments:

Bob said...

Great recap. Wasn't it a lovely night, aside from the brevity of it all?

Also: Where did you find that picture?

BroadwayBaby said...

It was a lovely evening. Short. But lovely. Being in a non-profit environment, I understand the gala aspect and the timing and all of that, but I wish they had not chosen this concert for their gala evening, letting those of us who were there, as I said, for the music, to really enjoy and celebrate Sondheim.

As for the picture - I shot it myself - shhh.... I was all the way in the back but have a great new camera with killer zoom and I could not resist playing with it. Only during the curtain calls. That's the best one I took.

Sarah B. Roberts said...

good job - love the pic - that's one hot quartet!

BroadwayBaby said...

Thanks - the shortness of the evening was my only complaint - then again, I didn't stick around afterwards to rudely get kicked off the lawn...