Thursday, February 03, 2011

when is spring gonna get here, anyway?

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate snow? I hate it a lot. So I started the week with much trepidation over the weather forecast. On Sunday morning, when I was working out, I saw a weather report calling for 13-17 inches of snow. But, the weather guy said those estimates "might be conservative" - and I thought, eh. It's Sunday, they could still be wrong. But on Monday they were saying the same thing. And there was a timeline. But you know how it is. The newscasters whip us all into a weather watching frenzy, making us think that we will be stuck in the storm to end all storms, and then NADA. So forgive us all for being a little bit skeptical. I sort of thought that we'd get something, because they couldn't be that wrong, but maybe it wouldn't be as bad as they thought.

I went into work on Tuesday morning, and everyone was talking about the snow. Something about the possibility of a snow day made everyone kind of giddy - because really? As adults, when do we ever get snow days?? We already were starting to plan things around the snow - we scheduled meetings for Wednesday afternoon, assuming there would be some kind of delay in opening the office. Then we heard that businesses all around the city were closing early. My boss had a meeting with the head honchos of a big bank in the city - and we learned that they were closing early. This storm meant business, and everyone was suddenly taking it very seriously.

I had to drop off a grant that was due that day, at an office in the Loop, and my boss told me to just go home from there, since I was so close to Union Station. Thus, I was able to catch the 2:35 train, allowing me to get the hell out of dodge (on the way, I found a light shining in the darkness - AKA a new CRUMBS bake shop - a little slice of NYC, right in my backyard. Yes, I stopped. I was drawn into that shop like a demented moth to a flame. I might have squealed "OMG!" a lot. And of course, I bought cupcakes. I figured if I'm gonna be snowed in, I might as well have some delicious cupcakes, yes?).

The snow was already starting, right on schedule. I felt lucky to have gotten home safely, before it really got started, rather than being stuck on, I don't know, Lake Shore Drive, maybe? And then I got a call from work. We would be shut down on Wednesday - joining a long list of schools and businesses in the city and metro area closing for the day. I understand this was something of a first for us, but given the fact that the governor had announced a State of Emergency, I think it was the best possible move. And, of course it meant: SNOW DAY!!
We hunkered down in the house and listened to the wind howling outside. This was some storm - raging winds, blowing snow, and the best part, the rarest phenomenon - THUNDER SNOW. WTF? I know there was an alleged ginormus blizzard in 1999, but I don't remember it at all. I was in college then, but probably on break since it was early January. I say probably because I have no recollection of this at all. Maybe I wasn't as obsessed with weather events as I am now? Since I didn't have to worry about driving or going anywhere, it was but a blip on my radar?

At any rate. I went to sleep, listening to the wind outside and praying that we wouldn't lose power. It sucked when it happened in the summer, and I could not imagine what it would be like to lose power during the worst storm of the year.
I woke up to this:

Yikes.

That? Is my driveway. It is REALLY long and let me tell you, took forever to get clear. That's not an abandoned car on LSD, with its wipers up as a distress call, it's MY car, buried behind the house. See the HUGE drift right behind it? I dug the car out myself and I.AM.STILL.SORE.

Today, it's freezing-ass cold, and I got a text last night letting me know that the office is going to open at 12 today. So.... semi snow day!



1 comment:

carmen nava said...

ugh i know how u feel. i hate snow too. it slows ur day. cant do much about tho... its nature! next storm, stay home n try to relax with the fam.