Friday, August 19, 2011

american girl in italy


This iconic photograph turns 60 this month!! I remember, several years ago when I was studying abroad in Italy, it was actually pretty close to this, particularly in Southern Italy. We'd walk down the street, cute young college girls and we'd get the eye. I remember a guy almost fell off his scooter because he was looking over his shoulder at us instead of looking at the road. And one morning, in Sorrento, we were having some breakfast cappuccinos at a cafe on the street, and some guys across the street were hanging off the balcony to watch us. It wasn't weird or creepy or anything, and they never did anything else but give us the eye and go "Ciaooooo" (the equivalent, I guess to "How YOU doin'?"). This photo reminds me of that summer in Italy.

No comments: