Monday, August 15, 2011

rufus!




So, last night was my first trek to Ravinia this season (I can't believe it's already August!) and I saw Rufus Wainwright. I've enjoyed his music for some time, but in a sort of casual way. I love his voice, from songs like "Hallelujah" and "Complainte de la butte" from Moulin Rouge! and I even have one of his albums, Poses. I've seen his concerts at Ravinia advertised in the past and always wanted to go, but never really got around to it. But I decided this year was the year, and I got myself a ticket. I'm glad I did, too, because I can now say with 100% certainty that I am a big, huge fan. Much love for you, Rufus.

Anyone who knows my ticket buying tendencies knows I like to be close up, right in front of the action, but at Ravinia, it is kind of a crap shoot - I am a donor and I filled out my early ticket form and just waited to see what I'd get. Well, I had an awesome seat - row D, seat 13, center section. I was so close, it was ridiculous. I think it was because I had bought a single seat, so it was easier to fit me in. I don't know what the reason was, and I don't care because it was, as I say, an awesome seat. Behind me an older couple bickered about their seat locations and then the lady commented, "I don't know this Rufus Wainwright." and I was kind of puzzled, because unlike other arts venues, you can't really buy packages at Ravinia. So, like, say you buy a 5 play package - you may know some of the plays and the artists and not know others. But this is not, as I say, the case at Ravinia, so some thought must have gone into the purchase of these tickets. They left after intermission anyway, which I think is a DAMN WASTE OF ROW E TICKETS when I am sure some actual fans would have enjoyed those seats a whole lot. Anyway.

The first part of the concert was devoted to a Shakespearean song cycle that set the Bard's sonnets to music (played by the CSO) which were pretty. I'm not familiar enough with the selected sonnets to really go into a lot of detail, but I enjoyed them.

Then there was an intermission and I made it to the ladies' with plenty of time to watch the stage get flipped from a CSO configuration to a totally empty stage with a lone piano. When Rufus came back out, he commented how strange it was to be up there by himself when he'd just been on with a whole stage full of people. "It's like the wizard of oz," he said "when they draw back the curtain, except instead of the wizard, it's a gorgeous guy!" Hee hee. Funny boy. He told us how he'd been "Nice'd to death" in Michigan and broke out into "Falling in Michigan" to the tune of "Falling in love again." Adorable. He's just the cutest thing on this earth and I am now obsessed with his voice.

I was happy, happy, happy that he closed the show with his haunting "Hallelujah" - {swoon!}
and then I went back out to my car a happy girl.

(You'd think, wouldn't you, that since I was so close, I'd be able to take many many completely awesome pictures - but I forgot the camera, and the one on my little phone is awful. I didn't even think of it until I was halfway to the park, and I didn't think I'd need it because I always take pictures of the same exact things - carousel horse, banners, etc etc. Le sigh. Maybe next time.)

No comments: