Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Artist

Best PictureQuest 2012 - Film #1

I had heard so many good things about this movie, even though I knew next to nothing about it. I watched as it won piles of awards and decided to see what all the shouting was about. The Artist is a black and white, pretty much silent movie. A beloved silent screen star (played by the incredibly charming Jean DuJardin) finds himself losing his fame as silent films are being taken over by talking pictures. I had wondered how a silent film would look and feel in 2012, and it felt incredibly fresh. DuJardin is joined by a solid cast, including guardian angel Berenice Bejo as Peppy Miller, and the smartest, cutest little dog ever. It was an unexpected delight. This one is my personal favorite of the films that I have seen, and my frontrunner for Best Picture, AND Lead Actor.

It's still in theaters, so go see it while you can. It's amazing everything these talented actors can project without saying a word.

No comments: