Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Help

Best PictureQuest - Film #3

This is another film that I'd wanted to see when it was first released, but that I missed. Do you see how this quest could have been so much easier if I had just seen these things when I first heard about them?? But anyway, thank you, Village Crossing Blockbuster store.

I had read the book "The Help" right before the film was released. The film was a fairly faithful adaptation about a group of African American maids serving white families in Civil Rights Era Mississippi. A young writer, Skeeter Phelan (the awesome Emma Stone) wants to write a book from the point of view of the help, talking about what it is like for them to essentially raise white children and keep house for their families, while being kept completely separate. The real reason to see this movie is for Viola Davis's performance as Aibileen and Octavia Spencer's performance as Minny, the two maids at the center of the story. They breathe life into the movie, which is otherwise somewhat uninspiring.

I liked this movie, although I found the book to be more powerful.

No comments: