Friday, April 20, 2007

they really, really like me...

Today is my last day with The A Team. It's sad, and it's weird. My desk is totally clean and empty. My personal effects and mountains of crap have been cleared off or taken home. There are no extraneous pairs of shoes under my desk anymore and, ONE email in my in box. This never happens.

Since my move has some political undertones, I was not expecting them to throw me a party. But I got one. Cake, and a card and people hugging me and telling me how much they will miss me. I will miss them, too.

I always feel like I am not very memorable. I mean, come on, in high school, people always called me "Nicole" because I looked kinda like a friend of mine - we're both petite, blonde, and wore glasses. That's about all. But I got cut slips when she was absent. Our counselor did it. Our homeroom teacher did it. The man saw us for four years! And she never got called by my name, I was always called by hers. It's enough to give a person a complex. (and THEN, when I get emails from candidates with their resumes, they call me 'Karen.' Lovely name. It's just not MY name. And it blows my mind because the respond to name is RIGHT ON THE ADVERTISEMENT. And yet. Dear Karen.... Where is the attention to detail? HUH? Definite points off there.... But I appear to be rambling. ANYWAY).

And then something like this happens, where I don't think people think much about me at all, and it turns out that they DO, and some of them think pretty nice things, too! It's weird. I've had 5 and a half good years here, but I'm ready to keep going.

1 comment:

Emily said...

You're memorable! That said, I've always felt like that myself, but without the wrong name issue. I'm always convinced people don't really care if I show up places or not. However, I suspect that this isn't really the case for me, and most certainly not for you either :)