Wednesday, December 17, 2008

hijinks on the high seas

Ugh, I hate snow. I very very much hate snow. But as you might have noticed, I'm sitting here typing this, and so obviously made it home unscathed. Praise the lord.

But back to my lovely long weekend, so much more pleasant to think about than crappy cold Chicago weather. Friday's agenda was this:

-Waffles at Nice Matin
-Pick up Gypsy/Billy Elliott tickets
-Walk down 42nd St. in search of the aircraft carrier Intrepid
-General chilling in the Village
-Lunch
-General chilling elsewhere about town
-Nap
-Dinner
-Gypsy (ROW A!!!)

I had my beloved Nice Matin waffle. I am always worried that I have made them out to be so wonderful in my head, but will be a disappointment when I actually go and eat them. Let me tell you, they are wonderful. Sweet, crispy and delicious. Mmmmm. Amusingly, while I was sitting there with my waffle, recording the previous day's events in my little journal, I was earwigging on the table next to me. A recently laid off woman was talking about job options with a friend of hers. Apparently looking for a position in communications, she said she'd had an interview where the person she met with had to remind her to include her contact information on her resume. She was whinging on about how she hadn't had to prepare a resume in ages, etc. but I mean come on, Ms. COMMUNICATIONS professional! How are you going to get hired if you don't at least list a phone number?? So, yeah, good luck with that one. Don't call us, we'll call you. Well, if we even had your phone number... Ha.

Anyway, went to then pick up several evenings' worth of tickets and then trekked down to pier 86 to the aircraft carrier Intrepid (history geek, much?) She was built in 1943 during WWII, and sustained a number of kamikaze hits. She also saw action in Vietnam and was a launch or landing pad or something for the space program. Famous Intrepid crew include George HW Bush, Paul Newman, and John McCain. I love this sort of thing and it was great fun. I got there early, so was in and out before the crowds (and their children) showed up. I climbed the little staircases to see inside the Ready Room, the Code Room, the Anchor Chain Room, the mess hall and the sailors' quarters, the forecastle, the captain's bridge, all that good stuff. THEN, the most fun part was going out on top of the Flight Deck and seeing all the planes. It was windy as all heck, but at least it wasn't raining and freezing cold. I took pictures - I will post some up here later. It was cool as hell though, and I had a really great time. I was feeling all Ziva David on NCIS, doing a ship investigation - although I bet Ziva wouldn't go falling on her ass like I did in the middle of one of the hallways. I'm surprised that I didn't fall off one of those little stairways, they are tiny and steep. I can't imagine the sailors having to do that all the time and do it quickly. So yeah. COOL is all I have to say about Intrepid. I get all weepy watching the WWII videos and seeing the vets - my family has a long association with the Navy and I think this is where I get it from. That and the history major thing. So yes, fun AND educational.

What else? Oh, I wandered around town for a while, like "Oh, let's go HERE" and then hopping off the subway, going "Huh" and then getting back on the subway. I was using some pages from TONY and looking for cool fun areas where I could browse or shop or explore. Trouble is, it will give you subway directions as in which train to take but not so much what to do once you get off. And by this time I was getting hungry and thinking "Cheeseburger" and I had one of those things where there were restaurants everywhere but not one of them that looked appealing to me. So back on the danged subway to Burger Heaven at 5th and 49th. And oh, was I ever in Burger Heaven. So nice...

Gypsy (#11) up next, but it needs a post all its own...

No comments: