Tuesday, October 20, 2009

miscellaneous thought of the day

Over the weekend, I spent most of my time at the Auditorium Theatre, working at our performances of Othello. Let me just say - the production is sublime. It's really amazing, very high quality and classic. Stunning projected sets, elegant costumes, gorgeous dancing and a great cast. I saw it twice this weekend and will see it again next weekend - come on out, it's dance at its most amazing.

But anywho. Shameless promotion aside, my point actually is - I was at the theater and I took Metra, in order to save myself from paying a million dollars in parking at Grant Park south. While I was waiting at Union Station, a lady came wandering up to me asking me what train I was waiting for, why we weren't all getting on the train sitting on the other side of the platform (uh, because it's not going to the same place?), etc. It was her first time taking the train and she was anxious. Which is fine. People always ask me directions. On the train they ask if the train stops at Fox Lake or wherever they happen to be going. And I do my best to be helpful, although to be honest, I am a bit hazy about where the thing goes after I get off. I sort of stop caring after we arrive in the MG okay? Once someone even asked me how much the fare was from Union Station to somewhere random. Why would I ever even know that? But still. I can be patient. I can be nice (really. I can.) So I dug out my schedule and helped her figure out the fare. I explained flag stops to someone. I guess I look friendly, or knowledgeable, or like I am a Woman Who is Going Places.

My point here is this - why can't any nice looking (single) GUYS aske me for the time, or directions, or how much the fare is to Mars (seriously. one of the other trains - not mine - goes somewhere called Mars.)????

No comments: