Thursday, May 27, 2010

idolatry

I skipped most of the bloated American Idol finale last night - two hours of crap, when all you really need is about five minutes to tell everyone what they really need to know - who the winner is. I did tune in for the last 20 minutes or so, in time to see Mt. Prospect's own Lee DeWyze get the American Idol crown.

And I like Lee. I do. In fact, last week, I predicted he would win (I've had good reality-show prediction karma this year, accurately predicting Idol, ANTM AND Dancing with the Stars). After seeing Tuesday's show, I would have given the title to Crystal though, because she really brought it and stood out more than Lee did. Such is the nature of the American Idol votership though, the tween girl and cougar vote carried the evening. Just like last year, when it was pretty obvious Adam should have won, but Kris Allen (another nice guy with a good voice) pulled the upset. But who has the bigger career and more buzz? Adam. Kris? Doing car commercials. I mean, really??

This year, I think is another instance of it not really mattering a whole bunch who walked away with the crown of "American Idol" because Crystal is going to have a great career anyway.

I don't understand, either, why they picked "Beautiful Day" for his first single. It's already a (vastly superior) single by U2. It's a U2 song. I have never liked any of the songs written for the winners to perform that become their first singles (last year's, written by Kara, was totally dreckitude, to borrow some top model parlance), but at least they were original songs. Why they would pick such a well-known song for Lee's first single, I have no idea. So sorry, Lee, but I won't be listening to or downloading that single (not for nothing am I called "Bono's Boot Bitch" in certain circles).

No comments: