Monday, February 09, 2009

grammy roundup

Watched the Grammys last night. I was hoping for a glimpse of the winners of the typically non-televised categories - the classical category, naturally - although, heck, I think they presented all of 6 awards on the show last night. I think they went for a full half hour and only presented one. Still, it was a nice way to pass Sunday evening. Some of those cats are just so unbelievably cool - U2, Coldplay, Radiohead, all of those guys who were wandering around with their sunglasses on... inside. It made me wonder - did they wear them all night? How did they see anything? Is seeing stuff passe when you're so cool?

But hey-who, I digress. They did not scroll any of the other categories, which is kind of a bummer, man, but they wanted us to follow them on Twitter and on Facebook, which I didn't do. Anyway, I found out this morning that the Grammys for Best Classical Album and Best Opera Recording went to the Rise and Fall of The City of Mahagonny, featuring Patti and Audra! Wheeeee! I saw both of these live and in the personal flesh. I was surprised about Mahagonny though, I thought for sure that Eugene Onegin from The Met would sneak in there and grab the Grammy Gold. The production was gorgeous and, I don't need to tell you, gloriously sung by Renee and Dmitri... Who knows what lurks in the hearts of Grammy voters? But congrats to Patti and Audra - Patti adding to her award-haul (sort of, anyway, I don't know if the artists get the physical awards for these?) and in the opera category!!

No comments: