Tuesday, February 24, 2009

they're heeereee!

Yes, it is that time of year again, that we have all waited for with mouth-watering anticipation - and I am not talking about National Pancake Day, which is apparently today, but.... drum rolllll please! Girl Scout Cookies! They have their own website! Hooray! A former co-worker of mine used to have two little girls in scouts, and so for about 4 years or so, she was my hookup. And then when I worked at Archiver's, there were all kinds of mommies running around that place, and the thin mints and pinwheels and caramel delights flowed freely. Lately though, it's been hard for this girl to get her fix in the city. Last year, I remember some entrepreneurial girls (well, ok, their moms) had set up shop at Union Station (smart move, ladies! hungry commuters = sales!) and sometimes, some of them hang out by Jewel. Lucky for me, my mom has gotten the hookup, and yesterday she brought home three boxes...

And okay, can I just say? These things are tiny! My four bucks (!!) buys a box smaller than, I dunno, but it's pretty small. We woofed down about half the box of thin mints last night, while watching House* and I started wondering where my next box was gonna come from.

I also started wondering what it is that Girl Scouts DO, exactly. Can anyone tell me? The box says something about being a development or empowerment or some such thing organization for girls, which sounded like whole bunch of nothing to me. My cousins were in the Boy Scouts and it was all running, jumping, climbing trees and stuff like that. Camping! Building things! Making fire! Killing chickens!** There is always some news story, on slow news days, about some teenaged kid who has earned all six hundred zillion merit badges and he's got them all sewn proudly on two sashes and stuff like that. What do the girls do? Go shopping? Two of my cousins were Eagle Scouts. What's the highest level in Girl Scouts and why do we never hear about it? Do they even have badges aside from the how-many-cookies-can-my-mom-sell badge?

So clearly, I was never a Girl Scout, because I was always more interested in eating the cookies than selling them.

*Can we sidebar for just a sec from my sugar high to talk about Hugh Laurie? Shaved! No shirt! Lovely... now if they just dump Foreman and 13, we'd be back to the show we know and love.

** Seriously. My cousin built a bridge, learned how to make a fire from twigs, and I believe, learned how to kill a chicken with his bare hands. For the Pyro, Survival, and Poultry badge, I believe it was...

1 comment:

Andrew Culture said...

We don't get Girl Scout cookies in England, the only people knocking on my door to sell something want me to fit new windows, no sign of any sugary treats, it's so unfair!
Andrew Culture

(my siggy)
Badges are my thing...
Photos are also my thing...
My good living/ eating blog...
Writing random stuff is also my thing...