Monday, February 23, 2009

Weekend Roundup

I was going to call this post "Weekend Update" but then you'd think I was going to be as funny and clever as SNL, and you know I'll try, but I don't want to give you false expectations.

Essentially, I spent all weekend at the ballet - sometimes I really really love my job, especially when I get to watch performances and basically call it "working." Friday I was at home sick, and it was one of those days when I just slept and drank hot drinks and slept some more and didn't talk or work or worry about much of anything except when I was going to have my next hot drink (very soothing for my extremely sore throat). It did wonders, and when I went to work at the theater on Saturday, I was in much better form.

Sunday, I brought mom to watch the performance. So, the program is a mixed rep, starting with Arpino's Kettentanz - who knew polkas could be sexy? The cheerful polka sounding music gets to me, after a while, but the dancing is freaking incredible.

Next - Mobile (Ruud) that is more of a performance piece, with three dancers contorting their bodies into various positions, inspired by Calder's mobiles. It's one of those "How are they doing that?" sort of things.

Then - Hand of Fate from Balanchine's "Cotillion" a lovely, if anticlimactic little pas de deux that if there was a speech bubble over the audience when it was over, it would read "Huh?"

The showstopping piece though, has to be Le Sacre du Printemps (the Rite of Spring) by Nijinsky. When it premiered in 1913 in Paris, it started riots in the theater - this ain't yo' momma's Ballets Russes. It's primal and primitive, about a ritual sacrifice of a maiden to make the spring season return (here is my question though - actually several questions - why was it always a maiden who had to be sacrificed? Also, what if this ritual didn't work? They were in Siberia after all - isn't it pretty much always winter? Why didn't the maidens go "This sucks as a tradition, we're going someplace warmer and starting our own tribe. Ciao.") It ain't pointe shoes and tutus, it's flat footed stomping, and jumping, fists pounding on the ground. The Chosen One (not the little green guy) is a tour de force, because this girl essentially has to dance herself to death. Stravinsky's music is strong and powerful and not very melodic. I have to say that our friend Vaslav must have been a real fun guy at parties - but this is one hell of an awesome ballet.

I will have two more times to see it, as I am working both shows next Saturday. What else?? Oh, the Oscars. As usual, I have failed quite miserably in my quest to see all the nominated best pictures. Only achieved Frost/Nixon, which I liked very much. I love Hugh Jackman, and would watch him do just about anything (but not that POTO sequel - run, Hugh, run!) but there were some weird ass moments in that ceremony. I didn't even watch the whole thing... I only usually watch it to see who is wearing what - although I like movies, the ceremony itself is usually kind of tedious. Well, anyway. I am so happy though for Kate Winslet, whom I have loved ever since she rolled down that hill as Marianne Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility. Now I will really, really, really, really have to go and see her in The Reader and also possibly in Revolutionary Road. Oh, and I will totally have to check out Slum Dog Millionaire. Maybe I should change my goal and vow to see the actual best picture film once it has one, rather than messing about with all the nominees. Maybe next year??

Happy Monday!

No comments: