Saturday, July 22, 2006

I Love a Parade...

Earlier in the week, I had an email from Heidi reminding me about the Disability Pride parade on Saturday the 22nd, asking me if I was "in." Since it was not supposed to be disgusting and meltingly hot, I agreed. Friday night, I realized I had no idea what exactly I'd signed up for, but agreed to be ready to roll at 9:30 Saturday morning.

As we traveled downtown on the Red Line (cheaper than driving, to be sure, but neither fast nor especially convenient), I asked, 'So, are we watching, or marching, or what?' As it transpired, Heidi and I were to march under the National Louis University banner - at least in theory, since we didn't actually have a banner, and were annouced as "Um... three really nice people!" as we passed the reviewing stand (three because somewhere along the line, we picked up this lady who'd been selling parade shirts and stuff, and she asked if she could walk with us.). Jane was serving as the marshal of our section (or the "mini-marshall" or as I called her, the "mini-marshmallow" and so was not walking with us, even though she was the sole one among us who actually goes to National Louis. We walked along Dearborn - from the Harold Washington Library to Daley Plaza, and there were all of about 3 people watching the parade. We were waving to tourists and traffic cops. Still, I'd only been in one other parade before, and it was kind of fun.

After the actual marching, we went and helped Jane in her duties at the Children's Tent. There were pictures to color, and bubbles, and face painting... so the kids around could have a little fun in the plaza. The face painting proved to be immensely popular, although none of the three of us are exceptional artists. I didn't even try - I can't draw to save my life with paper and pencil, imagine if my canvas was somebody's face! Heidi and Jane did a great job, and Heidi's clown representation was immensely popular (hey, do I sense another tattoo for you coming on??). We stuck around for a little bit before I dragged Heidi off to Old Navy. Completely and totally against her will, because she hates shopping, and she definitely hates mammoth stores that sell great clothes and shoes and bags. We also took a walk to Millennium Park (with only minimal whining from me along the lines of "Why couldn't we have had this weather last weekend?") and stopped off at Starbucks before another looooooonnnnngggg trip home on the red line...

For the record, parade grand marshal Robert David Hall from CSI was apparently there although we didn't get to see him... bummer...

1 comment:

Sarah B. Roberts said...

Sondheim said "any parade in town without me, must be a second class parade"...look it up.