Wednesday, May 21, 2008

everybody just say "ah"

Hello, my name is Kristen and I am a hypochondriac ("Hello, Kristen" you chorus). I am also a drama queen. So. When I get sick and I don't improve rapidly to A-game status within oh, about 24 hours, I.FREAK.THE.HELL.OUT. I jump straight onto the computer and attempt symptom analysis on Web MD or MayoClinic.com. Naturally, my mind goes instantly to the bad place. I will scan conditions and try to match their symptoms to mine. (Oh my god! Do I have that? I think I have that! I'm dying! Arrgh!)
I can't be the only person that does this. I think too much about everything and that only makes it worse. I never used to question doctors or the efficacy of antibiotics before. Now I'm all like, "So that's what I've got, huh? How do you KNOW?"

I know this is not healthy for me but I can't help it. I am sick right now and completely freaked out about it because I am kind of uncomfortable and not appearing to improve at the pace I would like. I've also discovered an Immediate Care Center near my office so it is not necessary to schlep out to Niles whenever I get a symptom.

Anyway. I am trying to wean myself away from WebMD, since it's not at all helpful in determining what it is I ACTUALLY have and only makes me feel worse. Let's hope when I see my doctor tomorrow, she will give me more drugs...

No comments: