Sunday, November 30, 2008

shopping on black friday

On Black Friday, I ventured out and commenced to Commit Commerce, in order to do my part for the economy (Dear Chairman of the Fed: YOU'RE WELCOME!) among the things I bought... Oh, yeah, right. Like I'm going to broadcast that to the internets? No. I will say that I bought holiday cards - I'm not making any this year. It's just as costly as buying a box of cards and when I make cards that I like, I am less inclined to actually send them to people because I just like them too much to give away - it's like "Here you go, Merry Christmas, now gimme that card back!" Since I don't usually have a single card design in mind when I make them, they're all unique and that can be time consuming. So, yeah. I bought cards.

We also spent a whole lot of time in Champps (the extra "p" is for...) where the five thousand tvs broadcasting every variety of sporting event competed for attention with the piped in Christmas music. Arrrrghhhh. It's officially the season now and everything, I know. But it is still really really too early to subject shoppers to the latest chart teenybopper chart toppers warbling christmas songs. Do we really need another version of "Sleigh Ride"? Or "I saw mommy kissing santa claus"? Or "A Very Special Christmas" (That one makes my ears bleed, I hate it so much) or, as I heard in Old Navy "Happy Christmas (War is Over)" - lots of people can remake lots of songs, but I think this one should remain off limits. Forever and ever. Whoever you are, you ain't John Lennon, so kindly shut the hell up so I can try on this performance fleece.

I've also done a lot of shopping online, which is probably the best answer to the holiday shopping question. You can shop any day at any hour, you don't have to battle for parking, face long lines and rude people, you can sit in your pjs or whatever, and you don't have to listen to Jessica Simpson singing "Rockin' around the Christmas Tree" (unless you really want to).

No comments: