Wednesday, June 10, 2009

bono + edge + julie taymor = broadway magic?


According to U2.com who are so beside themselves excited that they emailed me this info twice, Bono and the Edge have teamed with Julie Taymor for the Broadway production of 'SPIDER-MAN Turn Off The Dark.'The new production, staged by award-winning director Julie Taymor (The Lion King, Across the Universe), begins at Broadway's Hilton Theatre on January 16, 2010.

Drawing on over 40 years of comics, co-book writers Taymor and Glen Berger spin a spectacular new take on the mythic adventure that's familiar and fresh yet filled with unexpected twists and turns. Highlighted by visual effects, flying, stunts and breathtaking designs from an international team of artists from Broadway, Cirque du Soleil, the Beijing Olympics and the Spider-Man films. It also marks the Broadway debut of Bono and The Edge who have composed the music and written the lyrics for 'SPIDER-MAN Turn Off The Dark'.

Okay now - Seriously? A Spider-Man musical?? I am intrigued and also a little bit afraid. I have to get myself to NYC (hopefully sooner than January) and I am not sure this will make the top of my must see list. But hey, maybe Bono & The Edge will get invited to next year's Tony's which would be kind of fun. I think every event needs a little excitement in the form of hip Irish rockers. I was also emailed some ticket pre-sale information (so clearly they think this thing will catch on - if it is anything like the Lion King, maybe it will) and if you are nice to me I will tell you how to get tickets this much. Thrilling, yes?

No comments: