Thursday, June 25, 2009

oh, patti...


You all know what happened last Sunday, and yes I will talk about that, but nobody's really talking about the show, so I'm going to tell you about that. First - a bit of background. At the start of June, I learned that I had 12 PTO days to take before the end of the month (which is the end of our fiscal year). We aren't allowed to carry any over with us this year, which meant that I had to use those puppies or lose them. I knew I wanted to take a trip, since I hadn't been out of town since December, and I was itching to travel. Where to? I considered a few options - back to New York for cupcakes and Broadway? London (expired passport foiled overseas plans)? but what I really wanted to do was see the divine Ms. Patti LuPone in her newest one woman show. At first, I didn't want to brave Vegas on my own but in the end I decided to hell with it. I'd had my heart set on seeing Patti and as an added bonus, I'd get to explore a new city.

So that's how I ended up in Vegas last Saturday, sitting in the Orleans Showroom WAY too early, waiting for the show to start. Did I mention I am early to everything? I have this pathological fear of missing curtain and so I am always in place for these events ridiculously early. Once, I was with my friends on our way to something, and we were running late and I almost had a stroke in the car. Seriously. Being late makes me nervous. So I'm in the Showroom more than half an hour early with nothing to do. I couldn't even kill time by reading the program because there wasn't one. Oh brother. I checked my phone about a million times to make sure it was off - I was in the front row and so every caution was necessary. I wouldn't even have brought it, but I was using it as a timepiece. Anyway. I was there, I was ready to go and after what seemed like an eternity, the show started! Ms. Patti sailed out, a vision in black, and started to sing "The Gypsy in my Soul" complete with soaring, belted notes. Good lord, but she can sing her face off. She welcomed us happily to the Orleans Showroom or, as she called it "One step closer to the strip!" And I totally started imagining her image on the side of one of the major hotels, a la Donny and Marie on the side of the Flamingo ("Dammit, I'm a little bit country too, bitches!)

Can't you just see it? Maybe the eyes from the City Center Gypsy logo? Right on the side of the hotel? Brilliant, I think. AND I think that she should hold out for her own gift shop, like Bette and Cher have over at Caesar's. All kinds of Patti trinkets. And programs for early birds like me who get to the show too early.

The show was actually a blend of some of her previously recorded material - a lot from "The Lady with the Torch" which I adore, including "Do it Again" "I Wanna Be Around" (otherwise known as the Sicilian national anthem. Ha) "Frankie and Johnny" "C'est Magnifique" "Make it another old fashioned" (or whatever the real name of that song is) and "So in Love." She also sang "I never do anything twice" "I regret everything" and "Hello, Young Lovers" from her Matters of the Heart days, and even some stuff from PLP Live "The Supermarket in Old Peking" "Calling you/Get Here" (I nearly fell off my chair, I love those two so much), "Looking for Love on Broadway" into "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" "I get a kick out of you" "As long as he needs me" "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" and "Everything's Coming Up Roses." She sang her West Side Story duet with herself, "My Way" and "The Way You Look Tonight" (I seriously wonder what she does with those cameras afterwards??) and she closed with some disco. She is fabulous and I love watching her on stage. I left the showroom happy.

Sunday - I learned my lesson! After dinner I went up to my room and didn't allow myself to leave until the time was appropriate. I did not want to be down there again, sitting around staring into space before the show started. And yes, I went to both shows. What if it was different from night to night? How could I be expected to choose? I don't have that kind of decision making power, so I didn't bother to choose. I just went to both. My seat was better on Sunday, second row and a little more center of the house. The show rolled along, the same as the night before. Same Patti, same gorgeous voice. I had been worried that the audience would be full of people just there to see a show, not really knowing who she is, but they were really responsive and wonderful (with one notable exception, as you will see). Very unlike the audience at the show in Naperville that I saw last. I was basically in heaven. Honestly, I could listen to her sing forever.
She sang "Looking for Love on Broadway" and the distinctive opening strains of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" began. She struck the famous pose, the crowd went wild, etc. She started to sing... and then stopped the show. She had spotted someone (not near me, fortunately) texting (maybe?) went over to the edge of the stage and let them have it. The rest of the crowd was supportive of her action, with a few people giving her a standing ovation. She went back to the piano, the mood clearly ruined and wondered where they should resume the show. "How about... from the beginning of the show?" she joked and the pianist obligingly started playing the opening strains of "The Gypsy in my Soul." She laughed, resumed her place at the mic, striking the Evita pose again. The show went on and although I noticed her looking in that direction several times, there was no further activity from the errant texter. I spotted an usher over in that direction, and I had heard that two people left the show, but I am not sure what happened there.
So, look, there's been a lot of conversation about this, about Patti stopping the show. All I can say is good for you, Patti, and thank you. I've been in audiences with horrible behavior (seriously - the last time I was at Lyric, a couple in front of us were making out during the opera. A few rows ahead of us, some guy was stretched out, arms folded on top of his head like he was at Wrigley. The people at Lyric behave appallingly, which is why I am not subscribing this year. So please stop calling me! And there was that one incident when I was at Sunday in the Park with George when some idiot's phone went off during the few lines of the show "White - a blank screen or canvas. His favorite. So many RIIIIIIING possibilities" which totally ruined the moment for me and also kind of ruined the feeling of the show for me as well.) and I am GLAD that finally someone is taking a stand and making it known that it won't be tolerated. I am only sorry that that someone is a performer on the stage. She should not have to worry about taking it upon herself to police audience activity because we should all know better. I only hope that this kind of behavior doesn't spoil the experience for her up there. Although it enlivened the show a bit, it did not spoil the experience for me. The rest of the crowd was extremely supportive after that point and very well behaved which proves that Patti was doing what she does best - she goes out there and forges a real bond with the audience. You can't experience that if you're not sitting there, in the moment.
It was over all too soon. Although I waited around with some other fans afterwards, Ms. Patti proved elusive (which is really too bad, because I'd hunted down a cute Orleans postcard that I was going to ask her to sign in lieu of a program.) So I went back upstairs to my room to pack and do some other last minute things.
The next time I see her will be at Ravinia in August. If you're going, please don't use your phone or your camera or prepare to face The Wrath.


1 comment:

Bob said...

Thanks for the thorough report on her show! Wow - I'd love to hear her sing "Peking" and "Get Here/Calling You" live and in person at some point. Fun!