Monday, June 15, 2009

is vegging out too passe?

Dear People Style Watch:
You know that I love you - I eagerly await your monthly appearance on the newsstand, and I page happily through your issues, drinking in every word. How else would I know to wear cute flat sandals and flowy tops in the summer?? Or how much Nicole Richie loves her vintage clutch or Gabrielle Union her glam LV bag? I have to say, in this recent issue there is much to love - and being me, I have already purchased two items that I saw in the issue. I am a marketing person's dream come true, yes?

But there is one teeny tiny thing that I think you might have, oh, I don't know - made up. Your What's In What's Out section, while useful, seems maybe a little ridiculous this time. For instance, the first "IN" is something called "cupcaking" defined in the magazine as such (if you think I am making this junk up, I'm not - page 98)

Cupcaking: "It's a new expression. Cupcakes are hot in general, and this trend is about getting back to basics and being joyful, enjoying the simpler things in life. You can stay home and cupcake with your boyfriend or hang out cupcaking with your friends."

Really, Style Watch, really? A new expression? Does anyone actually say that? I will tell you now that the only reason I would ever say I was "cupcaking" was if I was eating (or making) cupcakes and that is questionable, at best. What do they actually have to do with "getting back to basics and being joyful"? Particularly since the new hot cupcake trend involves plunking down like 5 bucks for a cupcake? Simpler things in life? I think not. Your telling me that this is a new expression does not make it so. Catchphrases come about more organically than that, I think, and this one is pretty dumb, so my prediction is that it won't catch on.

The other crap in the What's In What's Out is pretty stupid also, so I suggest that you dump the page all together.

Many thanks!

PS If you really want to do some "cupcaking" - come on over next week! I have vacation and I'm going to be baking!

No comments: