Monday, August 10, 2009

all's weill that ends weill...

Ok, I lied. After the concert ended, the evening wasn't really over... there was a signing by the gift shop. We ambled over there and waited in line for the Diva and Maestro Conlon. The crowd was friendly and happy and there was a nice breeze, so it wasn't a huge deal to wait.

We were admonished by the Ravinia henchpeople not to take photos (although Patti herself amended this - we could take photos, she just wouldn't pose for any) and that she would only sign things to do with her or the performance, which sounded a little odd to me. Also, there went the chances of asking her to sign my (new) glitter lantern. Whatever. As usual, my mind was a perfect blank when I got up to the table. There's so much in my mind that I want to say, but nothing ever seems good enough, or interesting enough. I wish that were different. I wish I could gush away without worrying if I sound too fangirl giddy, or overeager. Instead I think too much. I did speak a little with the Maestro, and may have said something (I have no idea what) to Patti.

But now's my chance - I am much better in writing anyway, because I can take the time to think of what I truly want to say. So here goes: Last week was kind of hellish for me. I had a health scare or two (not at all serious. I am a hypochondriac in the extreme, and a bit of a drama queen to boot, and so I'd whipped myself into a frenzy for no apparent reason), I had a Week at work and I have some personal things that keep popping up among my friends that are proving to be messier and more complicated than I ever would have thought. I know what you're thinking - why on earth would you be whining about your problems to Patti LuPone? Because, quite simply, she made them all go away while I was sitting there. Listening to the CSO playing that music, listening to her sing, everything melted away. I was just there, in that moment, and during that moment, all was right with the world. Nothing else mattered. I think that's the power of music, the power of performance, to capture you in a little bubble and hold you there, transcending everything else, in a perfect, private little world while you escape. I suppose you can see how this might be a difficult thing to convey to someone you admire, someone who has brought you that feeling again and again. I could hardly find the words, much less put together coherend thoughts in her presence, in the space of several seconds.

Thank you, Patti. It means a lot and I hope it's as joyful for you as it is for me in the audience. I also wanted to thank her for standing up to that texter in Vegas, because that meant a lot to me too. Oh, and I was curious if she has a favorite Beatle. But I suppose I have to wait until next time to try and speak actual words to her...

No comments: