Monday, August 10, 2009

Weill-ing away the hours...

On Saturday, summer finally decided to put in an appearance. Well geez, it only took until August... It was hot, sticky, and humid. Naturally, on such an evening, I had tickets for Ravinia, to see Ms. LuPone singing an evening of Kurt Weill music.


First stop - gift shop! The evening called for jelly rings, and I procured several in rapid succession. Just the thing for a Weill concert, yes?? This one flashes white, but I also got a pink one AND a red, white and blue one. (Not to worry, I silenced them during the show!)


Patti, Patti everywhere...



After taking several turns around the lawn, we settled down for a pre-concert snack - Ravinia sells cupcakes now! So we got one of their giant carrot ones. I am not usually one for vegetables in my pastry, but this carrot cupcake was quite tasty. And then it was time to head into the pavillion. I had actually managed to snag some pretty decent seats - row AA, in the center, and right behind one of the boxes. Even though I like to be closer, it was really kind of perfect because the sightlines were great and we had some legroom. I had no huge idea what the 7 Deadly Sins would be like so I just sat back and waited. I had experienced Weill before, since I'd seen Mahagonny (twice!) in LA.

First, Maestro James Conlon led the CSO in the Symphonic Nocturne from Lady in the Dark which was really lovely. I don't know what other people think of the big screens in the pavilion now, but I love them. It's fun to be able to watch the orchestra and soloists up close & personal. As I was watching though, I felt bad that the maestro had to be sweating up there in full regalia. I mean, I know he wouldn't come out and conduct this prestigious orchestra in bermuda shorts and a t-shirt, but I wouldn't have blamed him one bit if he had. He could have lost the jacket, at least. I wouldn't have minded.

So, anyway. The Maestro gave us a brief introduction on the 7 Deadly Sins, which didn't really help me a whole lot. I decided to wait and see. He brought out the Diva and her backup chorus of 4 guys (two of whom were Anna's parents. And they were both guys. You see?). It was... yeah, fine, I guess. Patti sounded great. I think I would need to listen to it again to really fully grasp what it was saying to me. Weill and Brecht were not subtle in their messaging, which I suppose makes it doubly sad that I wasn't exactly grasping it. It was the same with Mahagonny - I had the feeling I should be getting more out of it than I actually did. John von Rhein's review in the Tribune says something about the chorus decrying capitalist whateverism, and I sure as hell was not getting that. I think I shall blame the heat....

Intermission - the usual dash to the (air conditioned) facilities and then a trip to find a bottle of cold water. Back to our seats. The second half of the program featured better known songs of Weill, Broadway songs, like "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" and "September Song" "Surabuya Johnny" and "Mack the Knife." Patti strolled back out onto the stage, looking much cooler in a shorter dress (for the 7 Deadlies, she was wearing a longer black ensemble. I swear, I was hot just watching her on the big screen. No change, sadly, for the maestro.) and greeted us conversationally with a big, happy "Hi!" She proceeded to give us a little introduction to each song, including the name of the show, some background, who performed it, etc. Like our very own little walking Sicilian program notes. I enjoyed this half a lot better than the first half. And then, suddenly, it seemed over. But wait - Patti and Maestro Conlon reappeared on the stage, and he started saying something - which none of us could hear, and so members of the audience started telling him so. The Diva, who was mic'd, took over - she told us that "Jimmy" and the orchestra were going to the bar for a drink, and that she was gonna sing an encore, while "your CEO" (the multitalented Mr. Welz Kauffman) accompanied her on the piano. She sang two additional Weill songs - including "Lost in the Stars" and I nearly melted into a contented (and sticky) pile of goo. I love that song. Sigh...

Then it was really and truly over. Another beautiful summer evening at Ravinia...

1 comment:

Bob said...

Great review, K. I was ambivalent of the "Sins." I blogged, too.