Friday, August 07, 2009

vampires & shfiters & weres (oh my!)

You may recall that my commute of late has been marked by my peering over the shoulders of businessmen to gaze at their headlines and puzzle quietly to myself over the varied punctution of their newspapers (by the way, WSJ also has a "Weekend Journal." section, again with the stupid period!) and one particularly memorable incident where I nearly fell off my seat as I was oggling a pic of Gerry Butler in someone's Red Eye (I was on the train's upper deck at the time, Gerry's hot likeness was on the lower deck). To avoid possible embarassment, my friend Heidi (who is in the great land of Oz as we speak on MY 30th birthday trip - hello? Jealous!) loaned me her great stash of Charlaine Harris novels. Ms. Harris, as you may know, writes the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire mystery series, and this series is the inspiration for the show True Blood. Being without cable at the moment, I only catch fleeting glimpses of the series. I will have to start relying on the kindness of Netflix. The great thing about books though, is that I can take them anywhere.

So I started reading last week and I've been taking books back and forth with me as I commute each day. They are quick and entertaining reads, and I've been enjoying them very much. I'm reading - oh, crap, I don't remember which one, I just started it, it's got "Dead" in the title (hahahaha - little joke there - they ALL have 'dead' in the title!) it has a (were) tiger on the cover. At first I was not sure about a heroine named "Sookie" but I like her a lot. She's got a lot more oomph to her than Bella Swan of the Twilight series - and plus she's not a total moron like Bella is. And these vamps? Don't sparkle. I think I'd much rather have Eric and Pam and Bill in my corner than that Cullen crew (except maybe for Alice. She's awesome.) And one of them is Elvis - whoops, I mean, Bubba. Does it get any better than that? I really think not.

No comments: