Tuesday, September 01, 2009

bjorn again...



Our friend Bjorn wrote Does Your Mother Know. In the Mamma Mia! book, he muses on the song, and says "This song has me singing the lead - to be honest, I don't know why. I really don't like listening to myself singing... I'm not a singer, but it can be an interesting exercise sometimes. My voice is not bad, and it's even a bit charming in a song like "Does Your Mother Know," I think."

In the movie, Mamma Mia! Christine Baranski's character (Patsy? No wait, I'm getting confused) cougar-ed it up and sang the song to a flirty young guy, but Bjorn says it's not supposed to be all creepy, 'what's up, little girl, does your mother know that you're out?' "I had the idea of reversing the situation (of an older guy-younger girl relationship) and creating a song about a man who, instead of trying to pick up a girl, turns round and says "Oh, does your mother know that you're out" (but not in a creepy way!). "And I also know this phrase "Does your mother know" which I'd come across in a book or magazine and it fitted so well with the overall idea."

Straight from the horse's mouth. Happy ABBA Tuesday!

No comments: