Wednesday, November 11, 2009

why is it everyone now is a pain in the a***???

So last night, I was on the train home. I had a good book, and I settled into my seat for a nice 1/2 hour of reading. The best part about Metra is that mainly suburban businesspeople ride it. It's quiet as they settle down with the WSJ and occasionally their beers (??). There is none of that CTA skeeziness, which I appreciate. And I always get a seat, unlike when I take the purple line "express" home at rush hour... oh, and there is no sexual harassment by creeps on the Metra, either. Everyone keeps to themselves and it's all rather civilized.

Now. Where was I? I had my book, and I was reading. Usually I will also have my ipod on, to drown out any conversation or noise or whatever. But this book I really had to pay attention to. The language is so rich and gorgeously written that I like to focus on it. Also, it's a mystery, and I have the feeling that I could pick up some clues if I really, really pay attention. So. On the train. Book. No ipod. It's getting good. Across the way from me, some chick starts yacking away on her cell phone. Like, loudly. As in, I could hear every word and irritating nuance of the conversation. This, in an otherwise TOTALLY SILENT train car. Whatever, though, right? I sort of put my hand to my ear, and turned to the window as much as I could, and went back to the book. Phone chick hangs up. Well, that's good, right? Wrong. She promptly launches into ANOTHER conversation, at top volume, and it's totally about nothing. In fact, it was about her having the first cup of coffee from her company's new coffeemaker. I don't know the place she works, but she could totally see Union Station from her window. You see? Loud enough so I could hear details.

Yeah, so that's annoying. I've moved to the giving her nasty looks across the aisle and muttering huffily into my book, heard only by its pages. Blah blah blah blah blah. Loud loud, "Like, Ohmigod" blah blah blah.

Then, the guy in front of me puts his paper down with a snap, turns to the side and says, loudly and pointedly "Do you REALLY think we all want to hear your phone conversation?" Oh boy. Stunned (but grateful) silence on behalf of the other passengers. Phone chick lowers her voice, finishes her conversation, hangs up and is mercifully silent for the rest of the ride. My new hero businessman shook out his newspaper and muttered "UNbelieveable" before resuming his careful perusing of the business section.

Funnily enough though, HIS phone went off about 2 seconds later. He had a brief, terse conversation in low tones and then hung up as if to say "THAT's how it's done, bitches."

Anyway. The rest of the ride passed without incident. I wish more people were mindful of gabbing on their phones in public places without having to be told off. I admit to being guilty of this myself, although I try and keep train conversations brief and to the point without moaning loudly on. As I've said, usually people on the train keep to themselves, and I've never seen one passenger tell off someone else before.

1 comment:

Emily said...

That is SO awesome - I've wanted to be that guy many times!