Friday, August 18, 2006

Ain't No Sunshine...

Yuck. What a horrible day here. It's all rainy and dark and humid. Was it only a week ago tonight (a week ago at this very time) that we were meeting up in giddy anticipation and sharing our picnic?? Well, I am glad we had beautiful weather last weekend, no rain on our picnic (what would we have done? Eaten in the car? Elbowed aside the old, North Shore types for space in the cafe?)

I left off before on Sunday.... so let's see... I thought really hard Sunday morning about following the usual Sunday routine. This involves going to the gym, feeling the burn, etc. I didn't do that. I got up at the usual time and checked email instead. Funnily enough, Patti happened to be on CBS Sunday Morning - it was as if they knew! I couldn't just leave and go work out - what if I missed her? The rest of the day followed that kind of aimless pattern. I hung around and did not a whole lot of anything. Still basking in the glow, in the happy bubble, etc etc. Made myself leave at around 4:30. Still got there ridiculously early, but whatever. We all gathered, in our spot, for our final picnic. Got to meet Ravinia Bob, and Gator, and Jamie and Billyboy, and had a really lovely time. It's really nice to be able to talk about music and theater, and Patti, and Bernadette, and Renee, any other diva you can think of with people who just get it. It happens so rarely for me, so it was really a treat. I've got a lot to learn, but fortunately, I am learning it from the masters.

Show time. I was in a box (oooohhhhhh) but really, nothing could top our seats Saturday night. I settled in the box, on the lookout for Someone With Fabulous Hair (AKA our Governor) who was rumored to be in the audience that night. Didn't see him. Took the seat in the box closest to the left aisle, so I could watch Patti's first entrance.

Some highlights:
- The first entrance. I'd been there all three nights, and I was still kind of like "oh! there she is!" when she entered. all of a sudden, she just kind of materialized and made her entrance. got me every time i heard her yell, "Sing out, Louise!"
-The thing with the plaque before "Some People." It was crooked, and she tried to fix it. Fell again the second she moved away. She stopped, glared briefly at it and ripped it off the wall, all without missing a beat in the scene. Also loved the "Gooodbyyyeee to Blueberry Piiiieeee!"
-Weird people in front of me one of whom was listening to headphones the whole first part of the first act. And his wife who never applauded. Okay then, if you're not gonna enjoy yourselves, at least trade seats with me... they had the front part of the box.
-People in nearby box who were talking about Wicked. Honestly, what's the fascination??
-Everything's Coming Up Roses.....

Intermission - successfully made the dash to the restroom all 3 nights. For that, there needs to be some kind of prize. Also, was able to move to another box and be with Noah and Sarah. Kari was a row ahead of us, so we were together. Perfection, better seats than I'd had before, right in the center.

It occurred to me, sometime in the second act, that this was the best, most perfect night I've had in a long long time. It all came together. On a beautiful, calm, cool, clear night, I sat, sharing this great moment with these good friends, with a truly remarkable star on stage singing a role that fit her like one of Gypsy's gloves.

UPDATE (Sunday)
Right, so as per above, I was sitting there, perfectly happy and content. A week ago RIGHT NOW. I think it's funny that this has had such an impact on me, that I am sitting here a week later... and I was just in the audience. I can't imagine having to get all the way into a role like this in such a short time and then have to jump back into something else. Patti's mental universe must be a fun place to be, sometimes...

Anyway. Post show, we headed over to the stage gate to Wait for the Diva. And we did not wait in vain. Despite the fact that she was on her way to the cast party, she did emerge and sign autographs and stuff. It was the perfect end to a lovely evening. Being me, I couldn't string two sentences together in Her presence (I think I managed "Thank you, Patti." But who really knows?)

SIDEBAR
Before I conclude this - I would just like to ask - Where the hell was I before this? Why did it take me so long to find Patti, huh?? This was her sixth time at Ravinia (I think?). I missed so much. Why didn't anyone TELL me? Would I have listened? Maybe I just wasn't ready. Who knows, but I'm bitter. I suppose it is better to have loved late than never to have loved at all, right?????

Sorry about the venting - but honestly. I could just shoot myself when I think I missed Sweeney, and A Little Night Music, and Passion, and Anyone Can Whistle, and Coulda Shoulda Woulda, and Sunday in the Park.... If there's anybody else I need to know about, can someone just please tell me?? I promise I will listen to you.

Anyway. It was a beautiful weekend, and I am still basking in its afterglow, a full week later. It was lots of fun to see everybody, meet new friends, and just enjoy the moments. This summer's been full of ups and downs for me - but these past few weeks at Ravinia have been absolute highs. Thanks to everyone who shared them with me.

No comments: