Friday, May 11, 2007

Getting to 13

When I accepted this new position, there are a few things I gave up - namely, a nice, convenient, safe (for the most part) 15 to 20 minute drive to the office, a parking spot in a covered garage, and a 2 block walk to the office.

Because driving downtown every day would just pretty much SUCK, I turned to public transportation. And this is where getting to 13 is not as nice or convenient. I have 2 options.

1. Metra. There is a station in the MG and the train goes straight to Union Station. It takes half an hour to get downtown. From Union Station, I walk about 20 minutes to the office. This is currently the option of choice. It's great now, but in the winter I may go for...

2. CTA. Otherwise known as the 'EL' Yellow line from home to Howard St. Station. Purple line "Express" (hahaha) all the way downtown. Stop about a block and a half from work. This takes forever. Afternoon trains are mucho crowded and noisy. I hardly ever get a seat until we're well out of the Loop. EL trains are S.L.O.W. and are much skeezier than Metra trains. It all kind of balances out though - taking the EL keeps me on the train longer, but lets me off close by. The Metra has a shorter ride, but I am doing all that walking.

Oh well. At least I'm getting my cardio.....

No comments: