Sunday, May 27, 2007

now i *really* want some pie

I took myself to see a movie today. I could not bring myself to see "Pirates" or "Spiderman" (I have newly acquired issues about paying my hard earned money to see unnecessary sequels. I loved the first Pirates and hated the 2nd. This one is longer (is that possible??) and more of same. As much as I love Johnny, Orlando, et al, I can't do it. Strangely though, I do really want to see Ocean's 13. Also an unnecessary sequel, but spending $$ on a movie with George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Matt Damon together always seems like a worthy investment...)

Yeah. So I decided to go and see Waitress. I never really watched Felicity, so I didn't have much of an idea about Keri Russell. We were just talking about the movie at lunch one day and I was curious about it. Keri plays Jenna, a waitress in a roadside diner - somewhere southern. They all seem to have accents and call each other 'hon' etc, but I am not sure where they are. Doesn't matter. She is stuck in a marriage and a life she hates and then, to make matters worse, she finds out she's pregnant. She doesn't want the baby, but is going to keep it. She starts hiding money so she can leave her husband, Earl, but that doesn't quite work out. She has an affair with her (married) doctor (played by Nathan Fillion of Firefly fame. I didn't know he was in this, but seeing him was an added bonus!) who is the total opposite of Earl - cute, funny, all that stuff. She gabs with her two waitress friends (one who dates a guy named "Okie" who espouses spontaneous poetry), befriends the cantankerous owner of the diner (Andy Griffith), and bakes completely amazing pies with names like "I-Hate-My-Husband Pie" and the on-screen making of which was enough to make my mouth water. Especially the very sexy and intimate scene where she's showing Doctor McYummy how to make a pie.

Waitress is funny, cute, kind of predictable (there were 2 plot points I could see coming from miles away) and there is of course a happy ending - but it was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I liked all of the actors very much, and my sweet tooth liked the pies... Too bad there is no such thing as smell-o-vision (or taste-o-vision?)

The only bad moment had nothing to do with the movie itself - 3 old ladies came wandering into the theater by mistake, about 5 minutes or so before the end of the movie.

"OH NO! THIS IS THE WRONG THEATER!" one exclaimed. They then stood in the (open) doorway, talking loudly to each other. "IS THIS THE WAITRESS?" "YES, BUT IT HASN'T ENDED YET." "WELL, I'M GOING TO WATCH IT. JUST DON'T LOOK." Maybe they were all going deaf? I am not sure. They got the idea that the rest of us maybe wanted to hear what happened during the last five minutes of the film when the whole theater shushed them.
"WE'RE MAKING A LOT OF NOISE!" one of them told her friends. They were shushed again and then they decided to wait outside.

Geez. I hate people.
Anyway. I wonder if anywhere around here delivers pie?

No comments: