Wednesday, May 09, 2007

My Achy Breaky Heart...

Golly gosh, I hadn't given Billy Ray Cyrus a single thought since we line danced to his song "Achy Breaky Heart" in eighth grade (I think I can still do the dance, actually. A little scary, huh?). But then he appeared on Dancing with the Stars this season (my number 2 pop culture guilty pleasure, right after ANTM). Believe me, I had my doubts. I mean, the man danced a cha-cha to a song called "I want my mullet back" - it looked like he was going to be this season's Master P (for fans of the show, you will know - this is not a good thing). Every single dance he did - waltz, jive, mambo, tango looked exactly the same. On several occasions, he just made stuff up.

So the man can't really dance. And yet, he stayed on the show. He almost made it to the semi-finals. He made his poor partner, Karina (who almost won the contest last year, with Mario Lopez) CRY. But somehow, he managed to win the crowd over with his aw-shucks southern charm and his personality (and can I just say? he's pretty cute, too!) He endured comments from the judges "deliciously awful" "that was crap" "the crowd is addicted to you" and, perhaps my favorite from Bruno Tonioli "you're like a crazy bear that got lost in the swamp" - who knew they danced? And yeah, okay. To be fair, he was pretty crap. But I think the show will miss him.

I am kind of bummed he's off the show (even though really, it was no surprise. And before you ask, no, I didn't vote. For anyone. I haven't voted all season.) I mean, he was entertaining, if nothing else. And we will forever be deprived of seeing his freestyle routine.

But, as someone once told me "life goes on" (no, it wasn't John, Paul, George, Ringo or Patti) and I am now throwing all of my support to Apolo.

No comments: