Saturday, July 05, 2008

bang!

I think the 4th of July is my favorite holiday. Maybe because my birthday is in November, and it's too cold to have a big party outside, and the 4th has all the things I think a good party should have: nice weather, a good BBQ, frosty drinks and cold desserts, and fireworks! It's summer, it's sunny & warm, people are outside having fun, the flowers are growing, if you have a garden (we do) fresh veggies are growing, all that crap!!!

The 4th for me is full of tradition, more so I think than any other holiday. Every year, we go to the Morton Grove parade. We used to always sit in the same spot, because it was in the shade and it was convenient. In recent years, we have chosen spots further along the parade route so that we could hear the bands actually play something. It's always the same. I am sure there are better parades, bigger parades, but ours is tradition. We have every kind of Medinah Shriner group that exists - clowns, unicycles, the oriental band, the motorcyclists, geez, all of them, big kids in stupid red fez hats. We have out-of-town marching bands, a few local politicians, boy scouts and girl scouts throwing candy, one float memorably was handing out hot dogs as it went by, the Jesse White tumblers, a squad of girls who still twirl batons, etc. I ate candy and drank some water and got sunburned.

After the parade, lit the BBQ and drank champagne and grilled corn on the cob and pork chops. For dessert, the insanely easy and traditional vanilla ice cream pudding cake.

Last night, I walked a few blocks to the house of a friend I have known since kindergarten. Together, we walked in a group with our friends and families and neighbors to the big field that hosts our fireworks display. After spreading blankets and towels, we headed off to the carnival. While I have not ridden any rides at the carnival in many years (since I was old enough to get leered at by creepy carnies and started wondering about their abilities to put together these rides... I mean think about it. They put em up and take em down - all in a day. Safe? Makes you wonder.) but it was exactly the same. Sno cones, funnel cakes, cotton candy... Jane and Amy went on this crazy ride while Heidi and I watched (like moms!) on the ground below. And damn! It was expensive - 5 bucks for ONE ride. Yikes.
Back to the blankets to wait for dark.

For a little Village, Morton Grove sure does put on a nice fireworks display. We oohed and aaahhed and ooooohed and pointed out shapes. Afterwards, we got buddies and walked back home.

Traditions. Wonderful traditions. I have done all of these things pretty consistently for my entire life. I think I've missed all of three fireworks shows here.

No comments: