Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dame Kiri Te Kanawa...Chicago's Grand Finale

So last night was Ravinia's gala celebration, with a concert featuring Dame Kiri Te Kanawa in what was billed as her final performance in Chicago. Last year, I attended the gala because of a generous benefactor who did not want to use his tickets. This year, I was my own generous benefector, and since I am poor, I just bought tickets to the performance (pavilion of course) that did not include the super swish and molto expensive gala celebration dinner. There are only two people I shell out that kind of cash for...

The rain held off and the humidity lifted briefly to give us a gorgeous evening for a concert. I would have really hated to be on the lawn though, as it was wet and muddy from the rains. Still, it did not stop people in any way from setting out some incredibly elaborate picnic spreads.

The program began promptly at 7:00 with James Conlon leading the CSO in the overture to La forza del destino. Then out came the Diva, in a gorgeous vibrant red and black gown (that made me hot just looking at her. I mean, yes, the humidity had lifted, and it was comfortable in the pavilion, but I was still wearing a sleveless dress). The program notes list her as being 64, and I hope I look that good when I am 64! She was absolutely gorgeous, gracious, elegant and cool (more on that later). She performed three Strauss songs Morgen, Standchen and Cacilie, then left the stage. The orchestra perfomed Schreker's Intermezzo Op. 8 and KTK came back to the stage for three Canteloube songs - Bailero, La delaissado and Lo fiolaire, two selections from La boheme - Mi chiamano Mimi and Donde lieta usci, and Io son l'umile ancella from Adriana Lecouvreur and then three encores including the popular O mio babbino caro.

The thrill was being able to see this great operatic legend in her final concert performance in Chicago - although she reported "I'm not retiring!" Her voice was lovely, if a little quiet (and she was standing in front of a microphone) and she was still able to reach some strong soaring high notes. Her presence was, unfortunately, a little underwhelming - she acknowledged the audience gracefully, but didn't seem too excited to be there on stage. I didn't feel any connection at all or anything much coming from her. Maybe she was hot? Or jet-lagged? She did thank her hosts, a family in Lake Forest, for "putting up with me for five days" so maybe she was body-snatched and replaced by a North Shore pod person? (by the way, how do you sign up to be an official diva sitter for Ravinia? Can I volunteer??) Or maybe that's just how she is? I have never seen her live before, so I have no idea what she's usually like in concert. Does anybody know?? I wanted so much to be dazzled, but sadly, I was not.

It was still a lovely evening that seemed to go by too quickly. The concert itself was an hour and a half, maybe less than that, since we were in the car by 8:30.

No comments: