Saturday, July 05, 2008

summer reading list..

I have been reading a ton lately, and after a long patch of wandering around going "I don't have anything to reeeeaaaadddd" I now have a rapidly growing pile. Some of the stuff on the list:

1. Such a Pretty Fat (Jennifer Lancaster) - on my list of highly anticipated summer reads, I ran to Borders on the day this one came out.

2. This Charming Man (Marian Keyes) - another highly anticipated summer read, I have to say that although the storytelling in this book is excellent, it's not quite what I expected from her, and I was a little disappointed, having just read most all of her other books over again, while I was waiting for this one. The only character I liked had a really annoying narrative style, kind of Bridget Jonesey short choppy first person sentences. Bridget was writing in her diary, but there is no explanation about why Marian's character told her part of the story this way. Vair annoying. Not endearing.

3. Where the Heart Is (Billie Letts) - I read an interview with "Tracy's Mom" and happened to read a summary of this book (made into a movie with Natalie Portman)

4. Funny in Farsi (Firoozeh DuMas) - my mom joined in my quest to find stuff to read and brought this one home for me. It's about an Iranian girl growing up in the US - mostly before the Iranian Revolution. I had two Iranian friends in junior high school and so I knew a little about the Persian culture. This book is funny and touching and a nice easy read.

5. Playing for Pizza (John Grisham) - another Mom pick. Down and out US quarterback joins the Italian NFL league which really does exist. Cute.

6. Home (Julie Andrews) - picked this up today and literally cannot put it down.

7. Merde Happens (Stephen Clarke) - an American in Paris

8. August: Osage County (Tracy Letts) - I saw the play and it stayed with me. I wanted to go back and read the text. Am seeing his newest work Superior Donuts next Sunday.

9. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (Dave Eggers) - Haven't started this yet. Will keep you posted.

10. The Wonderful and Surprising History of Sweeney Todd: The Life and Times of an Urban Legend (Robert L. Mack)

11. Luncheon of the Boating Party (Susan Vreeland)- Mom pick. Have not started it yet.

12. Water for Elephants (Sara Gruen) - loaned to me by a co-worker who promised it was good. I started it. Have not been able to get into it. I guess we shall see.

As you can see, it's a varied list. Any suggestions?

No comments: