Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Challenge 2009 Art Isn't Easy...

Today's task: describe something that really made you grow this year. That made you go to your edge and then some. What made it the best challenge of the year for you?

Based on this week I might say it's getting my hands on workable winter gear. I have lived in this danged city MY.WHOLE.LIFE and I still don't have a decent pair of winter boots. The Merrells I bought have these zippers that worked their way undone while I was walking to and from work. I would stop to zip them up and then I'd feel one of them coming loose again. FAIL, Merrell. FAIL.

No, okay, seriously. Wet feet and trying to walk to work without toppling headfirst into major intersections are not (surprisingly?) my greatest challenge this year.

I guess I would have to say that my job has really made me grow this year. We're a small department, and everyone has to hold their own. I feel like I've grown a lot and learned lots of new things, and I keep getting more responsibilities so I'm gonna keep growing! Pushed to the edge and then some? Oh, definitely. When one writes institutional grants for funding, there is the constant pressure of deadlines and making sure everything is just so. Managing these relationships so that people want to KEEP giving us funding. Finding NEW sources of funding and learning, first hand what everyone is talking about in terms of these "tough economic times" - major corporations losing money = no money (or less money) to give non-profits like mine. Stock market issues effect (or affect?) the portfolios of individuals AND foundations and so they have less money to give as well. It's gotta come from somewhere, right??

I love my job (usually) but it's been a challenge because after all... "Having just a vision's no solution, everything depends on execution... the art of making art, is putting it together."

No comments: