Monday, December 14, 2009

it's the most wonderful time of the year (no, really!)

I feel much more in the Christmas spirit this year, for some reason. Last year, I felt merely as though I were going through the motions - everything was a chore, done mechanically, oh, must put up the tree, wrap the presents, work at the theater... but this year, happily, I have been restored to the spirit of the season (praise the lord and pass the mashed potatoes!!).

We put up our tree yesterday and it was so much fun to pull out the traditional decorations and put them up just so. And I've loved buying gifts for all those special people on my list this year (you know who you are) although I must stop with the commerce right now, for that sound? Is my checking account gently weeping. I have heard some rumor about an extra paycheck in 2009 - I sincerely hope this is true.

I have also had my annual injection of Sugar Plum delight, brought to me by The Nutcracker. This is my third year here, and thus my third year of working Nutcracker performances. Oh, it is joy unbounded all right (where is the "sarcasam" font on the computer anyway??) but it's all part of the season. Glitter and nutcrackers and the smell of slightly worn satin ballet slippers will forever equal Christmas to me.

I even made a holiday playlist for my ipod of all my favorite holiday songs and I have been listening to it on my morning commute. So here, for your listening pleasure, I am sure, is one of the songs on that rocking holiday playlist that I was listening to this morning, brought to you by the Three Tenors. If you think you've heard "Sleigh Ride" before, well, let me tell you. You ain't never heard it like this.

No comments: