Saturday, September 15, 2007

another winter in a summer town....

40 degree weather, free blankets, 5 layers of clothing .... doesn't that sound like the perfect night to go to Ravinia? I was there last night to work a private event, hosted by Cadillac, in which my company was asked to participate. Of course, I had volunteered for this assignment weeks ago, before we knew that the weather was going to suddenly turn downright wintry. Who would think that we'd have 40 degree weather in September? I was layered up - long sleeved t-shirt, sweater, Ravinia fleece purchased on a whim from the gift shop (all items 50% off... they have some cute stuff in there. Picnic stuff, obviously, note cards, cds, dvds, other random crap, posters, etc etc. I bet they never thought they'd have a rush on their fleece and sweatshirts, since they're usually open during the height of summer...) coat, and scarf.
Cadillac was giving away free blankets. I think the idea behind this giveaway was for these blankets to serve as picnic blankets for future Ravinia outings, but people were actually using them as, well, blankets. It was that cold.

We arrived at 4:30 and manned (actually 'womaned') a table with brochures and other information. The performance featured a local high school band - they had a drum off - I feel the need to reiterate that this was NOT a Ravinia event, but rather a private one, so that kind of explains the random band. There were 2 large jumbo trons on either side of the stage that flashed the Cadillac logo when they were not being used to show off what was on the stage. There was a little Cadillac spiel (I think this was some sort of customer appreciation thing. But I don't know how the tickets were distributed or anything). The house, not surprisingly, was not full. There were people on the lawn, which I thought was kind of crazy. I can name the performers I would sit around outside in the freezing cold for on one hand.... One couple even had three small children with them. I mean, like, babies. Is it me, or is that just wrong? Freeze your own butts off, by all means, but leave the kids at home in the warmth.

The dancers performed the Donald Byrd piece "To Know Her..." which had its debut at Ravinia earlier this summer (actually, it was cold the first time I saw it, too) and once again, the dancers shared the stage with the Ramsey Lewis Trio. I love watching these people dance. I think I say that every single time I watch them. I am completely in awe of their abilities. It was cold onstage, too, which can't be good for their muscles, but they came prepared - they, too, were dressed in layers, and I think several of them filled out the Cadillac survey to get a free blanket. It's a great piece - I love the music, and the choreography is so in tune with the music, that the movements fit perfectly. I didn't know ballet could be funny & sexy & playful but this piece was all of those things.

Since it is the end of the season at Ravinia, the park looked pretty empty and forlorn...

...no one took the party tents down...


...the patio umbrellas come down...



No comments: