Monday, September 03, 2007

work shmerk

Seeing as it is Labor Day and most of us get the whole day off to do fun things outside like bbq and wash cars (okay, so that's what I'm doing today) while trying to keep their raging allergies at bay (I love a challenge), I thought I'd talk a little about labor. Work.

This month (on the 23rd) will be my 5th at my new place of employment (if I've done the math right which is, you know, questionable). A few people congratulated me on my more frequent blogging but asked me, "So, okay, what's 'Life on 13' actually like?" Hmm. Well, it's crazy. It's exciting. I'm learning a new aspect of a business I had read about in class and kind of experienced in my consulting gig. Now I am totally on the other side. Instead of being a consultant, we are employing one (actually several). I'm the client. It's weird. I'm trying to get there on time, trying to fit in, trying to fit my lunch into the fridge and learn how to manipulate a new coffee maker. I'm learning the habits of 2 new bosses (just when I had the old bosses figured out). And of course, I'm trying to do the job without screwing up too badly. I think I am doing okay so far.

Also, I was in such a dither about leaving the old place. It had been my first job out of college, and since it was founder run, it felt like a tight-knit family. Several people told me to get over it - that business is business, and it sucked to be stuck in a job where I was doing too much and not getting paid enough for it. My family members threatened to kick my ass if I didn't seize upon this new opportunity.

So I seized. And like I said, I don't think I'm doing too badly so far. Ask me at the end of my 5th month, or actually, ask me in January, and then we'll see.
But most of the team at my old place has left, and from all that I hear (quite a lot, actually) it's not the same place anymore. Not that I was regretting the move or anything. Quite the opposite. When your boss tells you there's pretty much no room for professional advancement, it's time to go. But I feel especially justified in my choice, being able to look back now and seeing where I would be had I stayed there.

No comments: