Sunday, October 29, 2006

Feeling the Burn - It Must be Sunday

So I was at the gym this morning. I say that like it's a big fabulous Bally type place, but it's not - it's just the workout facility at the community center. I only go once a week at the moment anyway, and it's just 6 bucks each time. Usually I am the youngest person there, and one of the only women (sounds nice, huh? unfortunately, the men working out there are usually of the older persuasion, huffing and puffing away, lifting weights (!) playing racquet ball and suchlike.)

I was in the locker room and the handle on my locker wasn't closing correctly. Part of the handle slides into another part, and there's a little place where you can slide a lock through. But it was stuck, not letting me slide the lock through. This lady comes up to me and says, rather condescendingly "Do you want me to show you how to do that?" Like I'm very very young and therefore very, very stupid. "No thanks," sez I, "I will just move over one." So I'm shifting my stuff into the next locker and she's playing with the door to the broken one like I must be VERY thick to not have caught on to this mechanism. And then she says (accusingly) "Was it like this when you got here?" Like I'd some how managed to break it! I played dumb (because if you do, they never suspect you could be up to something) and was just like, "Oh, I just got here," etc. Then I gave her a sweet (!) smile and went off to do my workout.

Why do people think they can talk to other people like that? Is it because I look like I'm 12? Actually, we were at the farmer's market the other day and picking up the last honey crisp apples of the year - and they have honey crisp CIDER. OMG. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. The guy at the stand says "Oh, yeah, the kids usually like it, because it's sweeter. Uh. Not that you're a kid..." And I said "I'm 27, but thanks." And he was so embarassed. He thought I was like 16. I just said thanks. Maybe it's because I'm blond? Who knows?

Anyway. Have been feeling domestic lately - made lasagna for our dinner last night and baked this morning. Don't know where that came from. Fun times though.

Not much else planned for today - but going to watch Da Bears! Wooohooooooo!

No comments: