Friday, October 06, 2006

Mental Health Half Day (or, I love a parade part 2)

Can a fresh, zenlike state of mind really be achieved in a half day off work?? I left the office at 12, and grabbed a quick lunch. It's a little chilly today, but the sun is shining.... It's one of those days I used to enjoy back before I had my car accident... gorgeous day, windows open, music blasting.... just wanted to enjoy the day and drive around. (With gas under 3 bucks again, this is a less expensive endeavor than it was over the summer.)

Stopped at Niles West to say hello to my favorite IRC staff members, and lo, it was homecoming! So I went and watched the homecoming parade. When I was a senior, I was actually in the parade, on the choir float. We actually MADE a float, with chicken wire and everything. The theme of the dance was.... well, hell if I remember what it was, but our float had the emerald city and we all dressed up like the wizard of oz. We didn't even WIN the stupid float contest (and we were the only REAL float! the others were pickup trucks with signs on them. seriously!) We weren't on the float for the judging and I think they didn't understand what the thing was suppsed to be. Hello?? Emerald city!!

Where did that come from?? Sorry. We were talking about achieving zen in a few short hours. Went for a manicure - which is a great way to relax while someone else makes you look pretty. My manicurist is really nice, and she likes to chat - she tells me all sorts of stuff. Last time she told me all about how her mother died because she'd gotten pregnant again and had to get a quickie abortion in a back alley somewhere. And keep in mind, this was only the second time we'd met!! Today, she told me about her boyfriend (who really sounds like the cable guy from Seinfeld... the one who puts cable in different rooms? On the down-low? The opposite of legal?). Oh fun times indeed. I should have gotten my hair done too, in preparation for the Divine Diva outing tonight, but I didn't think of it. Drat. So my hands look fantastic, but my hair, as usual, looks like crap.

So it's been a great afternoon. Every so often I want to jump up and down, singing "I'm not at Wooo-rkkkk right now!! I'm not at woo--rrrkkk right now!" But don't worry. I'm at home and not singing and dancing in public. And the best is yet to come - Renee!!! Am killing time before getting ready...........

More tomorrow......

No comments: