Friday, October 27, 2006

"Happy Journal"

My boss told me once that I should keep a "happy" journal - record things every day that made me feel good about myself, or about life in general. I don't remember now why we were having that conversation, but I did kind of keep a little happy journal. After the week I had, I think it is important to highlight some happiness:

1. Saw Susan Graham in Iphigenie en Tauride at Lyric Opera. Susan Graham is enough to make the happy journal all by herself. She's amazing. The production was dark and labeled a 'psychological thriller.' If they say so. I just found it greatly diverting indeed that the chorus wrote "Iphigenie" "Agammenon" and "Clytemnestre" on the walls in chalk in big letters, then threw wet sponges at the walls to make them run. It wasn't supposed to be funny, but it kind of was. Oh, dear. Then Susan dramatically washed the "Iphigenie" off the wall during an instrumental interlude. Did not see where she would have kept a wet sponge on her during that scene.

1.5 We thought we'd be so crunched for time Monday night, I left work early and everything. We took the expressway and got there before 6:00. So we hung out in Cosi and had some dinner and got caught up. My mom is awesome.

2. Watching Dancing With the Stars. Nothing like watching pointless tv to take one's mind off one's hellish work week. I love love love Emmitt Smith. And I liked Jerry Springer, too, but alas, his time on the show has ended.

3. Ditto America's Next Top Model. Even though my fave was voted off last week (AJ), it's such a fun show. Meeeeee-OOOOOWWWWW.

4. Learning how to change the waste toner cartridge. (Hey, it's the little things!)

5. Our value awards ceremony at work. it's always fun to get everyone together, especially when there's wine. I didn't get any awards myself (except for my 5 year service award) - could this be because the values I embody most are impatience and wanting to staple things to colleagues/or clients heads when they're being silly and unreasonable? But two of the people I work closest with did get recognized and deservedly so. Sometimes I am so proud to work with these people (that's of course when I don't want to throw myself out of the window!).

6. Our friday morning meeting. more fun, more laughter. if it wasn't for these clients, i'm telling ya. our jobs would be so much more pleasurable.

7. My little countdown to Patti's concert calendar. I was bored one day (and procrastinating, of course) and so I used my left over Basic Grey paper from last year's Blitzen collection and a binder ring, and some chocolate... Voila, a chocolate Patti-advent calendar. With pictures and
"clever" song lyrics written on each little page. Sometimes I scare even myself. But it's cute, really. AND it makes me happy.

8. Speaking of Patti - new Rambling posted on her site(www.pattilupone.net) , and new Ask Patti's, too.

9. the 6 cd changer in my car. Seriously? I love that thing. I can put in Renee's Homage CD, the new Grey's Anatomy soundtrack, some Audra, some Patti, and I have a great ride wherever I'm going.

Last but not least...
10. Just bought my ticket to New York in February, Jet Blue had a deal but I had to book today. Woohoo! I already have my Met ticket to see Renee and Dmitri NOW, I just need to figure out what show's I'm gonna cram in the few days I am there. Company? Oh, I think so.

It's Friday!!!! I hope next week's better than this one was, although that's not really saying much....

No comments: