Sunday, October 07, 2007

Tea? No thanks, I'm having beer...

Last night, I made an excursion out into the really gross sticky weather (I mean, really? High 80s? In October? In Chicago?) to celebrate my friend Heidi's birthday at Glunz Bavarian Haus on Lincoln Av. Heidi is of German descent (as I am sure you will have guessed) and loves her the Cuisine of Her People, so we like to take her to German restaurants to celebrate her birthday. Just like we usually do Italian on my birthday.

I had beer. Wait, let me explain. I HATE beer. I don't like how it tastes, all yeasty like I'm drinking a loaf of wonderbread. GROSS. But for Heidi, I had beer. Plus, it feels kind of weird to go to a German place during Oktoberfest and have a glass of water. That would be like going to a steak house and ordering chicken, no? It was a German beer - but a weird flavored variety that was half beer and half lemon soda. I figured that might help the taste. But alas. Tasted like I'd spread lemon curd over my wonderbread. GROSS. No more beer.

It was a fun night - I caught up with my friends and all the gossip (and believe you me, there was gossip!), we had a nice meal (despite a ditzy 2nd day waitress - all she could tell us about the soup of the day was quote it has peppers in it unquote.) and there was a band. In lederhosen and everything. We sang aloud at top volume and thus became the band's favorite table. Of course we took the opportunity to tell them that it was Heidi's birthday, and the lead guy put his feathered hat on her head and led the whole patio in a serenade to her. On the scale of public birthday embarassment, this has to be a 10.

We finished out the evening singing the "official" song of Chicago's 2007 Oktoberfest, as heard on The Simpsons:

Dough - what I use to buy my beer!!
Ray the guy who brings me beer!
Me - the person drinking beer!
Fa - the distance to my beer!
SO - I think I'll have a beer!
La! Lalalalala BEER!
Ti? No thanks, I'm having beer!
That would bring me back to D'oh! Oh Oh Oh.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That restaurant is awesome. You don't like beer??! Oh no, good thing there are many other delicious cocktails.

BroadwayBaby said...

I've tried several beers and just cannot find one that I like. I like wine though, and girly cocktails where you can't really taste the...ALCOHOL....